PDA

View Full Version : Hiding discus

DR.V
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 03:05 PM
Hi all, I got 4 discus that always hide on the corner of the tank.

These discus had been treated with metro for 10 days 5 weeks ago.

And since then they alwasy hide on the corner. Does anyone know why ?

With them there are 4 angelfish. Does the angelfish scare them ?

I tried to get as many body picture as possible. They also only eat about 1 or 2 pieces of tetra bits every day.

What I want, they swim around and approach to the front of the tank when someone there. Just like other healthy fish.

Any comment or thought will be appreciated.

Thanks

DR.V
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 03:06 PM
Some more

DR.V
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 03:06 PM
Any sign of other disease ??

Thanks

Merrilyn
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 04:09 PM
Hi Dr.V. I can see your problem right there in the picture of your whole tank. There is nothing in there for the discus to hang around. They feel vulnerable. So they hang around the only hiding spot in the tank, the filter.

Now if you were to put a bit of driftwood in there, or even a plant in a pot in the middle of the tank, you will find that your fish will come to the front of the tank more often.

In their natural habitat, discus are always hanging around submerged branches or plants spreading out over the water. They do not voluntarily swim out in the open. Fish in the open are easily spotted, and get eaten by predators. So it is their natural instinct to hide.

If you provide them with more hiding places, they will feel more secure, know that they can hide if they feel the need. It actually makes them more bold, because they know safety is near by.

By the way, they look lovely and healthy :D

DR.V
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks very much for the advice ladyred.

I will remove some of my driftwood from the big tank into this tank.

Shawnts106
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 09:10 PM
Hi Dr.V. I can see your problem right there in the picture of your whole tank. There is nothing in there for the discus to hang around. They feel vulnerable. So they hang around the only hiding spot in the tank, the filter.

Agreed completely.. I have noticed that discus in BB tanks with nothing in them tend to gravitate tward the sides and top more... making for shy discus... maybe you should add some kind of decorative driftwood or plants or something