PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

valkyra
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 11:42 PM
What could this be it isn't pitted is more like a blister then turns white and pops.

DR.V
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 06:40 AM
**** Edited

chris
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 07:02 AM
correct me if Im wrong but it looks like early hole in head syndrome.
I had a fish with this once I think its caused from a non balanced diet and average water conditions.
continue regular water changes and a varied diet.
Keep us posted is there any more symptons?

Merrilyn
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 04:01 PM
Hi Valkyra and welcome to the forum. That is certainly an early sign of hole in the head. There is a lot of information out there about the treatment of this. Check the information here for treatment.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2475

chris
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 01:25 AM
Is hole in the head the same as Hex.
Should metro treatment be used for hole in the head,
From what Ive read hole in the head is environmental.
And gets confused with Hex :?:
Please advise :?:
Hows your fish going by the way, the holes in my my fell out.
And I had no more signs of illness :!: :wink:

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 05:27 AM
Hi Chris, this excerpt from my post may help you.

It is believed that the pathogen responsible for Hole in the Head (also known by a variety of other names such as Hex, head and lateral line erosion and wasting disease) is Spironucleus Vortens.

chris
Fri Jul 15, 2005, 12:47 PM
Hi LadyRed Im not doubting you are anything im just finding it hard to comprehend that Hex is known to infest the fishes intestine.
And hole in the head or HLLE is a flangellate that erodes the fish above the eye. :ug

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 15, 2005, 09:24 PM
it is Spironucleus Vortens that erodes

chris
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 12:35 AM
A flangellate is the name of a cell with all those stringy arms hanging of them, Spironucleus Vortens is the type of cell that is related to hole in head.A flangellate too.

Merrilyn
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 01:21 AM
Chris I'll have a look for the scientific paper that explains the relationship between Hex and Hole in the Head. I'll post the link tonight.

chris
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 10:22 AM
That would be great thanks Merrilyn. Cheers

valkyra
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 07:40 PM
after all this time and a couple more times of the metro he is still not quite right he has periods of wellness but he seems dark alot of the time and would rather stay alone in the 20 gallon tank he is no longer clamped down and eats well I am at a loss of what to do for him. I don't want to over medicate him with the metro since I am afraid he will build up an immunity to the drug.
Think I will just go out and buy him a 30 gallon and let him stay alone in the tank and just see how it goes.
Thanks for all the help .

sharn
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:38 AM
have you looked into lymho? that causes bumps on the skin, not sure if they pop though but its very contagious.

valkyra
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:18 AM
What ever this is it doesnt seem to be contaigous he was in my main tank with 5 others and they are all fine I moved him the time before the last time this happened about 2 months or so ago metro'd him at a higher dose for 5 days and all seemed fine but he is still dark has a dont laugh but he looks old swims fine eats out of my hand and seems happy so I give up so whatever this is or was is beyond me this fish has a great will to live I guess cause he is still here after all the time he has been sick.
The pic is 2 of the others he was in with just to show they are fine.

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 01:01 AM
Hi valkyra, have there been any more white spots on his head since your metro treatment?

How does he act when you put him in with the others in the main tank. No doubt it would take him a few days to settle in again, but if he can possibly go in with the others, it would be better for him. Discus are a schooling fish, and usually do better in a group.

Keep us posted.

valkyra
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 01:08 AM
No more new spots just basically has an old look to himself.
He now has a 30 gallon tank and I went got him a smaller brilliant discus so he wont be alone. In the main tank he clamps down and stays away hides in the corner.