PDA

View Full Version : Thin Discus not eating

macman7010
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 12:54 PM
I have an Adult White Butterfly that I have had for about 7 months. About 4 weeks ago he quit eating and was keeping to himself in the tank. I placed him in my 20 gallon hospital tank and treated him with 90 degree temps and PraziPro, assuming an internal parasite or worm was the calprit. For two weeks this treatment took place and I then returned him to the main tank when he seemed to be getting better.

Now two weeks since his return he is back, keeping to himself and not eating, and now looking more thin than ever. Any suggestions on a cause or cure. I do daily 30% water changes and the water parameters or as follows

ph 6.8
Tempature 86

It's an 80 gallon tank with 7 other discus, some cory cats, several tetras of various species, and some plecos - no one picks on this guy since he is the biggest discus in the tank, the only other symptom I notice is that he breathes rather heavily

DR.V
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 01:35 PM
Sounds like Hex, did you ever try use Metro ?
Does it have a white poo ?

macman7010
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah its got white stringy poo, what I am guessing is either the shedding of intestinal lining or the signs of hex. I am a little confused as to what this metro treatment is?

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 04:47 PM
You will probably know it as Flagyl, an antibiotic which is an excellent treatment for all cases of hex.

As this is now a chronic case, I would suggest treating your fish with 400mg of Flagyl in 10 gallons of water, repeating the full dose every 8 hours, with a 30% waterchange in between doses.

Keep the tank lights out, as Flagyl is affected by light. Treatment should continue for 5 days, and in some extremely resistant cases, can be continued for 10 days.

Hope that helps.

goldfish
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 01:41 PM
Where can u get this Flagyl??

DR.V
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 02:35 PM
You require prescriptions for this.

So your local vet is the best place to find Flagyl.

Check this link out :

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1758