PDA

View Full Version : feeding your discus...

Stuquarium
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 11:22 PM
hi guys.

i was wondering from the pros out there how you feed your discus.

when it comes to brine shrimp, frozen beefheart, etc...

i buy those forzen squares of food from the aqua shop.

how much do you give your discus. do you give them a whole square? cut it al up? whats you feeding seceret...?

i wanna know how far off i am

thanks /

Merrilyn
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 04:06 PM
Hi Stuart, hmmmm that's not an easy question to answer. I like to feed my fish several times a day, so I only feed as much as they will clean up in about 20 minutes. If there is still food left after that time, then I have fed too much.

If it is all gone in less than 5 minutes, then I will add more. I add a variety of things, like beefheart mix, bloodworms, tetra bits and breeders premium dry food.

With those square blocks, I guess an adult discus would eat about 1/4 of a block each time, but as I said, I feed about 4 or 5 times a day.

Hope that helps to give you some idea. :P

Stuquarium
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 07:09 AM
thank merrilyn,

thats given me a better idea of how much i should be feeding them,

it'll reduce waste and messyness that way, although as a soon to be shiftworker it will be hard to feed them that often

cheers.

skoom
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 07:09 AM
I'm no pro but I soon found that I can't maintain my discus' eating habits with the prepackaged beefheart/discus (squares). I just feed them all day and drains my wallet.

Hence you might want to make your own beefheart if you have access to a food processer. bh recipes have been posted before on DF. I save enough money only to buy more fish... =(

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 09:34 AM
Stu

get your self onr of those auto feeder from AOA, $45.00 on special

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category61_1.htm

(i just order another one this morning)

and put a mixture of your favourite dried food in there

that will feed them during the day while your working and when you come home feed them your BW, BH, BS etc etc once twice or what ever

works great!

Nat
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 11:37 AM
Just wondering, i feed my discus breeders choice and tetrabits, what sort of ratio do you think per week should I feed them that to frozen brineshrimp, beef heart etc.

Stuquarium
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 10:20 PM
i give mine hlaf a square or frozen brine daily. with granules, and flakes.

i only have 5 discus. and they a messy!

kazkirk
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:10 AM
Mine get 5 small meals a day (they are babies!)
1 meal of Jack Wattleys frozen discus formula (beefheart plus other stuff)
1 meal of either frozen or freeze dried bw
1 meal of tetra colorbits
and 2 meals from the autofeeder, which is a mixter of 2 flake foods, the one being ocean nutrition formula 1 and and ocean nutrition brine shrimp

I love the frozen jack wattley food because it doesnt cloud the water and the fish gobble it right up. I take all the little cubes out, stick them in the processor to chop it up, then put it in zip lock bags flattened out and back in the freezer. That way I dont have to chop up new blocks every time, I just stick it in a cup water tank water until it defrosts into individual pieces. Nice and easy!

weird
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 02:32 AM
I been feeding mine like this for the past 6 months, 11 discus and one bolvian...
morning ... 6 cubes of brine shrimp

afternoon ... 6 cubes of blood worms

night ... 6 cubes of beefheart

latenight snack ... one of the above 6 cubes

But I do daily water changes and clean up all the uneaten food.

(PICTURE - DINNER TIME - YEAH I KNOW I SHOULD CLEAN THE GLASS LOL)

kalebjarrod
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 10:26 AM
i'm even putting those auto feeder's on the breeding tanks!