PDA

View Full Version : Lost weight

tank
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 01:20 PM
This guy here had not eaten in 3 weeks and only just started to peck at food only two days ago
How do u think he looks is there any obvious signs of illness
I have managed to get metro from a vet it arrives on tuesday

DR.V
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 01:32 PM
Does it have white poo ??

Whats your water perimeter ??

How long have you have him in this tank ?

tank
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:00 PM
no white poo
ph 7
temp 30.85
ami 0
nit 0
had him 3 weeks along with female she eats well
i dont think he has hex its his condition that i have concerns about, does he look ok to you drv

DR.V
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:11 PM
He looks alright to me.

He also doesnt seems to have hex either.

When he swims around, can you see a "dent" on the body ?

Does he hide behind a piece of driftwood ? Or stay in the corner ?

If he swims around , he sounds healthy to me.

If you only put him into the tank for 3 weeks, maybe it just starting to get used to with the new home. When you introduce new fish, it takes a while for them to eat properly and not hide. It normally takes about 1-2 weeks but can be longer.

What about water changes ?? Do you do regular water changes ? How often ?

I would suggest that you do 30% of water changes DAILY, before you put any medication into the tank.

Is there any other fish bothering him ?? Like a big cat fish ?

Merrilyn
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:15 PM
Can you get a head on shot tank. The only way to really tell is if the flesh is sunken above the eyes, and the fish has a pinched appearance.

tank
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 03:15 PM
he swims well when he wants too and shows some aggression when approached also he hides but does venture out
he is the largest fish in the tank 110 cm
wc 50 precent twice a week or 400 ltrs so based on that i may not medicate just yet ill watch for a little white
lr i wll try to get a head on shot

DR.V
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 03:19 PM
wc 50 precent twice a week

Want to try to 30% daily ? Try for a week and see how it goes ?

GoOd LuCk ^^

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 11:00 PM
Tank mate

he looks alright to me

i would say hes just settling

but get that front on shot :wink:

tank
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 07:38 AM
here is the the best i could do today he just like to face sideways it was hard to get him to smile
again he only a very small amout of bh to-day

mcloughlin2
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 07:50 AM
Hi dont have any xperiance with keeping discus but maybe itz ur food. Do u no wat it was feed b4 u brought it...i no it was big prob with some big goldfish i got a few months ago 4 ma outdoor pond they didnt eat when i put the flake an pellet in the pond. It took a few weeks b4 they were eating properly..

DR.V
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 07:54 AM
here is the the best i could do today he just like to face sideways it was hard to get him to smile
again he only a very small amout of bh to-day

Do you only feed them beef heart ?? Some discus are picky tho ...

tank
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 08:12 AM
yeah only bh now after reading the post by andrew soh i am to scared to feed bw and bs i have discus premium but no one here likes it much
he ate before i got hi bh bs bw tetra bits i have all of em but i wont give them frozen bw and bs or even live
i hve been dosing with rock salt and now i backed that off because my plants are starting to look average
he was in a quarintine tank with partner then i moved em to comunity tank in hope hw may stat to feed but he dont look all that sick does he

kalebjarrod
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 08:40 AM
he doesn't look that sick to me!

maybe try some BW, see if he will eat that

he may just be picky :wink:

tank
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 09:50 AM
hey ryan
just tried the bw nuddha not a one
what next

Merrilyn
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 02:36 PM
That's a lovely fat healthy looking fish. See how wide his head is above the eyes. He's got plenty of condition on him. Missing a few meals won't hurt him at all.

Just keep offering the beefheart and tetra bits. He will begin to eat when he is ready. :wink:

tank
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 01:07 AM
ok then thats sounds likw what i wanted to hear
thanks all

tank
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 03:15 PM
fat red fish is eating ok now phew !
thanks all
New problem
along with the increased wc this week amonia level has raised to 25ppm
this is the first time ive found amonia traces ,I have a bb tank looks clean as but the sump is a 3 ft and on the bottom of the sump there is some sort of film laying on the bottom when i disturb it floots around and then settles on the bottom again should i clean tihs up and could it be the reason for my amonia spike

Merrilyn
Sat Jul 16, 2005, 03:54 PM
Gee tank, I hope that's a typing error, and your ammonia reading is 2.5 ppm and not 25 ppm.

At 25 ppm everything in the tank would be dead. Even at 2.5 ppm that is a very high reading, especially as you have been doing daily water changes. There must be some answer somewhere.

Some things you need to check:-

are you using CO2 on that tank

have you been overfeeding

could there be a build up of excess food somewhere in the tank, or a dead fish

how about the sump, is there a buildup of food in there.

was the tank fully cycled before you added the extra fish.

If all of the above is clear, then it seems to me that your bio filter is not coping with the excess waste from the added fish. What was in this tank before you added the discus, and how many discus did you add to the tank.

tank
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 12:42 AM
Sorry its 0.25 ppm
no co2
over feeding maybe a little and no dead fish
tank was established 12 months ago and only discus where added
With the ammended concentration of 0.25 ppm amonia is there cause for concern

Merrilyn
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 07:41 AM
Glad we got that cleared up. :)

0.25 is not too bad. It's just a little higher than I like to see on a discus tank. The ideal is zero ammonia. Perhaps just cut back on the feeding a little, and be sure to remove any uneaten food at each waterchange.

If your bio filter is working properly, it should be converting all the ammonia produced by the fish, and turning it into nitrite and then nitrate.

Just keep doing those frequent water changes till your ammonia reading drops to zero.