PDA

View Full Version : What is the average size an age discus breed at?

mcloughlin2
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 08:40 AM
I was just wondering what the average size an age discus begin to spawn at. Not sure whether or not to get smallish discus 3-4 inches or a breeding pair.

DR.V
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 10:09 AM
Errr depends on what you want to keep.

If you want to keep discus as a hobby only, I guess smaller discus will do.

Breeding pair will cost a lot as you may already know, so there's a huge different between them.

But if you would like to breed discus there's no problem of getting a breeding pair.

Have you kept discus before ? If you havent I suggest that you start keeping smaller & cheaper discus 1st.

Once you success, then you can start buying more expensive strain or even a breeding pair.

12 months old is the mature age for discus and they're ready to spawn.

mcloughlin2
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 10:48 PM
No i havent kept discus b4 but i have kept an breed africian cichlids 4 the past 4yrs an i have a saltwater tank.... i read a magazine articale on discus an now im dying to get some. Do u think this would b enough xperiance for me to b able to get a pair???

sleepers
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:10 AM
As a marine and discus keeper, I would say discus is a step below saltwater on the overall difficulty level... but that said, I don't even want to think about breeding yet (note my post in water chemistry). It seems like the wisest folks here recommend waiting a bit, maybe just getting a nice group, learning the ins and outs, then moving into breeding.

Either way, discus rule. Good luck.

mcloughlin2
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks sleeper.. :D ..i think i might get a pair or 2 but if i see some young discus i like i might get them.Maybe i will buy some off kevkoi coz he has some great looking fish!!!

DR.V
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 06:11 AM
sure thing ... just give SLS a call ^^

kalebjarrod
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 07:30 AM
even if you get 5 Juvenilles and grow them out to breeding

that will give you the experience of growing the fish, water types , water changes etc etc and a breeding pair at the end

if you get juvenilles get 5 the same, that way you will have a class breeding pair at the end!

mcloughlin2
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 07:40 AM
Do u know how to get in contact with some1 from sls so i can find out wat varieties of discus they can get in 4 me..i hav asked 4 prices on some fish but no answer yet...

DR.V
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 07:52 AM
It is better to call SLS for much much faster response rather than asking from this forum.

Sometimes they're really busy and got no time to check the forum.

Slippery Little Suckers
632 Anzac Pde
Kingsford NSW 2032
Ph: 9315 5288

Look for Michella , George or Kevin

mcloughlin2
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 08:00 AM
Cool thanks i will give them a call tomorrow..

kalebjarrod
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 08:41 AM
LOL

i posted here and they PM me in 10 min

(must have been stalking me :? )