PDA

View Full Version : what else do I need?

dizzy discus
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 12:41 PM
Well, I've almost got everything for my discus tank and I was wandering if I needed anything else. This is what I've got:
45gal-
Filtration- high perfomance dble sponge filter, aqua clear 300
lighting- double pvc reflector, 24in powerglo tube, 24in grolux tube.
heating- 150wt aqua 1 glass thermo, digital thermo
everything else- hood, stand, co2 injector, x2 potted plants. :D :D

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you're just about ready to go. Only thing I would suggest is your test kits, you need pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and hardness.

Have you cycled your tank yet, to build up the bacteria in your sponge filter. This is essential before you add fish, and why you need the test kits.

HTH

macman7010
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 12:52 PM
Mr. Hodge,

Sounds like you are in good shape overall. I would recommend a little more filtration, your best bet would be a canister filter in line with a Magnum 350 or Fluval 304. That way you can keep your water extremely clean and clear. Also the Python no spill cleaning system is a must for discus keeping if you dont already have one. These fish require daily water changes for juveniles and several times weekly water changes for adults so the python helps.

I would also look into some amazon rain, or blackwater additive to help the discus by adding some mineral and vitamin aspects to the water. With all that you should have good success with you fish.

dizzy discus
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks, I've got most of the test kits and I have a python. The tank has now been cycling for around 3 weeks. Tomorrow I will buy some buffers, which I think will help the water quality, right macman7010? Anyway thanks for the info. :D

DR.V
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 03:34 PM
all you need is clean water and some discus ^^

dizzy discus
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:51 AM
Ha, sounds easy enough. What is it with everyone thinking that discus are extremely hard to keep. Most of the LFS's in my area don't even carry them because they claim there to hard to look after. Doesn't sound to difficult to me. :D

jim from sydney
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 02:12 AM
Hodges.....difficult is a state of mind nothing else.......discus keeping is fun but time consuming. The rewards are un-measurable...
Now get some fish........and ENJOY... :lol: ..Jim

Shawnts106
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 02:21 AM
I agree with you!.. I was scared to death to get one for years.. finally bit the bullet and im glad i did!

Love these fish!

I have 2 in my 29planted... and am getting 2 more.. a lepard or a snakeskin or a redturq and a golden yellow :) cant decide between the lepard/snakeskin or redturq?

what do you guys think?

dizzy discus
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 02:27 AM
Well, I can't talk from experience cause I havn't gotn any yet, but I would go with the red turq, I love em, I have recently oreded a couple from my LFS and am still waiting for them to come in.

axl
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 10:07 PM
Hey,
i have just found out myself that you will need a uv steriliser for a discus tank

skoom
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:02 AM
The UV was the best thing i bought for my tank. Prices vary a lot around different places, so you might want to shop around before you get the one that is right.

I've never had cloudy water since.

Some people don't understand why I put so much effort into the fish...only the lucky few get to know the rewards.

cheers.

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 03:23 AM
i have just found out myself that you will need a uv steriliser for a discus tank

thats still debateable

i don't use UV, and my fishes are great

i think it will depend on the quaility and reailablity of your water source :wink:

DR.V
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 03:48 AM
discus is not that hard to keep ^^

I know many people say so , i guess it just to scare you :P

You dont really need UV for a discus tank but nice to have one.

I got UV on my tank just to help reduce algae growth and also prevent any disease.

UV also helps create crystal clear water, but you also need regular water changes.

jim from sydney
Sat Jul 09, 2005, 09:40 AM
cant decide between the lepard/snakeskin or redturq?

what do you guys think?

get them all...if no room buy any one....you will enjoy any of them.....Jim