PDA

View Full Version : white leopard snakeskin?

aplfarmer
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 03:59 AM
Hi all,

I was high bidder on some white leopard snakeskin discus a few months back. The breeder/donater was very generous and sent 5 instead of the 3 I was bidding on. The only thing is they are anything but white. One of them has some red snkeskin coloration going on but her base color is still a drab salmon color. I've been in contact with the breeder and he says it's enviroment and food...I've added suggested food and even hung a white sheet behind the tank...nothing. Any suggestions? I looked for white fishy spray paint but could find none.

Thanks,
Roger

Benny
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 04:05 AM
white fish spray paint????

um..??
what did you intend on doing with it?

aplfarmer
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 04:22 AM
I was kidding about the paint Benny.

Benny
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 04:43 AM
lol im having a blonde moment i guess, cyber sarcasm is hard to pic :P

kevkoi
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 04:57 AM
There is no known fixed strain that I know of called a "white leopard spotted snakeskin".....

What I'm guessing is you're suppose to have one of these red/white looking with with small tiny dots.

Check this site... Is this what your fish was suppose to look like?
http://www.fish-king-discus.com.tw/index-ao-discus.htm

Very good specimens of these are hard to find.... there was one fully spotted one at aquarama, but if you bought yours small, your chances are not good that it will turn out like the pictures. Very small percentage actually end up looking as good. Not a stable strain.

aplfarmer
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 05:32 AM
That's a beautiful fish Kevkoi. This breeder is in the States and apparently is the only breeder of the "White Leopard Snakeskin". The dots on the "example pic" he provided was a very white fish with red bars(not verticle) I'm afraid I'm showing my ignorance of the different strains and their markings and the description thereof... I guess the real question would be...can I expect the base coloration of these fish to change to some extent based on the background color i.e., a white sheet given the fact they are now as I said a salmon/pinkish color? They're probably about 7 or 8 months old. The largest being 3" and the smallest I guess 2 or 2.5".

Thanks for your response,

Roger

aplfarmer
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 05:34 AM
lol im having a blonde moment i guess, cyber sarcasm is hard to pic :P

LOL Benny...no prob

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 06:02 AM
Any chance of posting a pic of your fish Roger? and another one of what it was supposed to look like would be good. Colour does change as fish grow, and food can certainly be a factor too.

aplfarmer
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 06:08 AM
I'll try to borrow a camara tomorrow Ladyred and I think I may have a note from the breeder with a siblings pic...

Thanks and good night for now

Roger

aplfarmer
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 02:30 PM
Any chance of posting a pic of your fish Roger? and another one of what it was supposed to look like would be good. Colour does change as fish grow, and food can certainly be a factor too.

I think rather than borrow a camara I'll just go down to the city and buy one today or tomorrow that way I'll have one...besides, I have little ones as of yesterday to attend to. Thankfully I have concise step by step directions to follow so I may be tied up with the little ones for the next while but I will get back to the "white LS"
Incidently, the mom laid on the electrical cord for the heater in a 120 gallon with 10 tank mates. I put a plexiglass divider in and when they hatched mom and dad moved them to the rubberized head of the heater.
They seem to be doing fine.

thanks,
Roger

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 05:20 PM
Wow Roger, that's amazing. Congratulations on the spawn. Look forward to seeing those pics now that you are getting a camera :P

aplfarmer
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 01:55 AM
Wow Roger, that's amazing. Congratulations on the spawn. Look forward to seeing those pics now that you are getting a camera :P

Sorry this took so long Ladyred...but here's at least one pic of my "white leopard snakeskin"... they actually look whiter than they really are I just haven't learned to use the camara yet.

Roger

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 05:34 AM
Nice looking fish Roger. I think we might leave it to our resident expert, Kev, to see if he knows it by another name. :P