PDA

View Full Version : cultivating brine shrimp

jim from sydney
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 05:42 AM
has any-one ever tried to cultivate their own brine shrimp...i like some info on this please...thanks...Jim

marg
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 06:09 AM
Jim,

Go to the Classifieds and click on the Age of Aquarius advert. They have Brine Shrimp in their Goods List. I clicked on it and they have a Brine Shrimp Hatcher included. I have been told that you can make a Brine Shrimp hatcher out of a 2 Litre Drink Bottle and an Airstone but don't know much about it :? :roll: - most likely Ladyred or Proteus would know and could enlighten us all on this subject as I bet there are plenty of others out there who would be interested.

Regards,

Margot.

DR.V
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 08:06 AM
do u mean buying the eggs and hacth them yourself ?? its pretty easy to hacth them yourself...

marg
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:06 AM
Yes, that is what Jim means I think.

I am also interested. :) . I'd like to get some BS Eggs and do a few trial runs (I'm sure my adult Discus will chomp them up), so that I know how to hatch them in readiness. I have never got past the wriggler stage with my pair yet but it is only a matter of time. Last time they moved their wrigglers from the flower pot and into the corner before losing them, but that was in a larger tank. I have now got them in a small tank and am patiently( :lol: :lol: ) waiting.

jim from sydney
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:08 AM
do u mean buying the eggs and hacth them yourself ?? its pretty easy to hacth them yourself...
thats right i want to buy some eggs and make a hatchery (or buy) and have a go.....i am getting pretty sick of my local FS as every time i want some BS they are always sold out....or just dont have them.....i reckon that as i spend so much time getting things right that i owe it to myself not to get fustrated but am getting just plain bloody annoyed with some people who think "business" when "hobby" should be their call cry......so i will have a go myself...........first..where to buy the eggs......then the hatchery (thanks Margot i will ring Ben (age of Aquariums).....then DR.V can you write a little article about cultivating the eggs please????it would be a great help...have you done this before????thanks....Jim

jim from sydney
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:15 AM
Margot

have you had any luck with breeding discus yet??...Jim

marg
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:47 AM
Jim I haven't been successful yet, but I am trying very hard. I have a Male Red Marlboro and a Female Pigeon Blood who have spawned many times, but always in a Community Tank.

They have got the eggs to wriggler stage and on two occasions have moved the wrigglers into a corner, only to lose them overnight. After talking to Ladyred I moved them into a smaller tank (2ft). They are not spawning at the moment but Ladyred told me that this is normal - they do have rest periods, so I am watching them and waiting. For the past two days they have nipped at the flowerpot in their tank intermittently, so I don't think they will be long off.

I have also got a Male Blue Turquoise and a Female Blue Diamond who have palled up - so I will have to get them a small tank as well.

I would like to learn a bit about raising the Brine Shrimp so that when they do successfully rear a brood I can be ready to take over.

Andrew Soh
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
Hello jim,
If you like to know how to grow your BS to 12mm size, refer to my book, 'Discus, The Naked Truth'

Warmest regards,
Andrew

marg
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:52 AM
Jim I know that Ladyred has a copy of Andrews' Book, as she mentioned it in one of her Posts a couple of days back. Have you got a copy of Andrews Book?

jim from sydney
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:53 AM
Hello jim,
If you like to know how to grow your BS to 12mm size, refer to my book, 'Discus, The Naked Truth'

Warmest regards,
Andrew

is it in any bookshop???

jim from sydney
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:54 AM
Jim I know that Ladyred has a copy of Andrews' Book, as she mentioned it in one of her Posts a couple of days back. Have you got a copy of Andrews Book?

no i dont is it any good???

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:54 AM
Try this

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Leong_Brine_Shrimp_Hatchery.html

hope that helps :wink:

jim from sydney
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
Try this

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Leong_Brine_Shrimp_Hatchery.html

hope that helps :wink:

Ryan.....thanks a lot....easy will have some fun with this exercise......Jim

Margot also please note ................Jim

marg
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
Cool Ryan, thanks heaps :D :D . That was really interesting.

I would still like to read Andrews' Book though, as I devour any reading material that I can on these beautiful Fish. I just found the Post I was talking about Jim - Proteus had joined into the discussion and he had stated that he would look into trying to see if one of our Sponsors would be interested in stocking the book - so I'll wait and see what he can organize.

marg
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:13 AM
Me again Jim. I was just having a little laugh after reading your post regarding your LFS.

I asked mine about Brine Shrimp and she said I would have to give her 4 days notice and she could "get" me some - methinks she wanted 4 days to hatch some at home and charge me like a wounded Bull - blow that - they have cleaned me out often enough (too big a saga to go into at the moment - puts me in a bad mood :evil: :evil: !!). I am going to get onto Ben and get some Eggs and try it myself.

Ben seems quite fair to talk to - I put in an order for some things from him last week and I spoke to him and he sounded like a decent sort of person.

jim from sydney
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:50 AM
Margo....Ben is OK....try this link for him
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category69_1.htm
i noticed he has 6 gms of eggs for $8.50 well worth a try you need to pay postage too...anyway if you have something else to buy it cuts the cost a bit......your local lady is a joker ofcourse....i would only deal with her if all fails (and that is never ofcourse) and then only after i would have kicked her first from pillar to post......hmmmm i sound like a tough guy??? did you try that other link it is good for making your own cultivator, seems easy i think...i will get some eggs from Ben he is sending me an order this week anyway and have a go.....i am like you .....my LFS i like to do without.
have fun let me know how you go.......any rain your way?????Jim

marg
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 01:14 PM
I will contact Ben late this week Jim as there are other things that I need from him.

Yes we have had rain - got a nice drop and everything is sprouting however the cold is also happening as well. Still everything looks nice and green - better than it did a week or so ago.

DR.V
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 02:04 PM
Buy higher quality of brine shrimp eggs jim, because they will have higher percentage of hatching.
Brine shrimp are easy to hatch and grow to adults.
Also fun to watch them ^^

jim from sydney
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 05:42 AM
Buy higher quality of brine shrimp eggs jim, because they will have higher percentage of hatching.
Brine shrimp are easy to hatch and grow to adults.
Also fun to watch them ^^

how long to keep them after hatching before they are adults, and at what temp should i hatch them????and what temp keep them to grow??Jim

kalebjarrod
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 10:02 AM
Jim that link i posted if you go to the home page it has HUNDREDS of articles on ever fasit of fish keeping

about four seperate articles on brine shrimp :wink:

Andrew Soh
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 10:39 AM
Hello Jim and friends,

Artemia is easy to grow to adult size as Dr.V said. If you cannot find 50micro or less size food for the artemia...use spirulina to feed them. Can reach 12 mm in 10 days...14 cm in 14 days...it is all in my book...check with ladyred or Dee. Some guys tried my method and have grown artemis to size of 12 to 14mm. :book

My book also covers a chapter of how to identify the gender of discus @ age of 4 to 6 months.

Warmest regards,
Andrew :angel

jim from sydney
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:42 AM
Andrew ...thanks will try to get a copy somewhere...do you know how much it sells for????Jim

Andrew Soh
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:53 AM
:D Hello Jim,
The book is selling at retail for S$98/-, excluding freight or FedEx service. If some friends can group together say..25 books (consolidation), the cost would be very much cheaper on cost of book and freight. If shipping only one book, it will be ...ex..pen..sive...maybe another 25S$. Maybe your club can do something to help? PM me and we will work it out :thumb .

Thanks,
Andrew :angel