PDA

View Full Version : vitamin c need help

Crocky
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:25 PM
hi all

I have just brought some vitaminc ascorbic acid from my local health food shop as A fellow who has breed/keeped alot of fish in hes time told me he use to feed them this stuff.The fish he had at that time where fish that would peas and he would spit the pea put a little in side and fish would eat it before they got a taste.
I rand him tonight about it and asked him some more question on what would be the best way of feeding to my discus he hasnt had much to do with them so does anybody here have any information on this

Brad c

Andrew Soh
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 02:33 PM
8-) Hello Brad,
Andrew here. Vit C is very important in discus diet. In fact it is very important to most fishes. In nature, fishes eat insects and larve of insects which inturn eat algae and bacteria.

In an Aquarium tank, there is no algae, no algae eating insects. Therefore it is important to add ascorbic acid(powder) into their diet as an antioxidant. Beside this, you can also use other supplement like Vit E which is also an antioxidant.

The way to feed is to add into the beefheart. Generally, the quantity or ratio where the discus is willing to consume is 1gm to 1 kg of beefheart. More than this, some discus reject the food. There will also be a tendency to leach, so if you prefer, encapsulate the food.

Another thing is that Vit C will break down once frozen...so can add only after defrosted for a day use. Leaching a little is o.k....maybe use Vit E oil-based...wouldn't break down in ice.

Best regards,
Andrew :angel