PDA

View Full Version : This good enough for discus?

MangoR34
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 12:49 PM
I currently have a 50cm Cube planted tank, tropical, and has some fish.

Current fish:
Sparkling Gouramis
Bristle Noses (commons and Albinos) from 2cm - 7cm
Sailfin Pleco (5cm)
Gold Pleco (6cm)

Plants:
- Giant Anubias
- Anubias nana Petite
- Anubias nana
- Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)
- Java Fern 'crested'
- Cabomba (Cabomba caroliniana)
- Green Hygro
- Sunset Hygro
- Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea zenkeri)
- Elodea
- 2 Banana Lilys
- Pink Baby Tears

http://members.optusnet.com.au/quocluong/50tank.jpg

Just wondering if this tank is ok with 2 small discus. I've kept discus by themselves in a bare tank before, but not plants and other fish.

The tank now just has 2 internal filters, but if the tank is going to have discus in em, then im going to change the filtration to a cannaster with a UV sterilizer.

Mango 8-)

Nat
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 01:35 PM
That should be fine. My display discus are in a plated tank, simialr to your and they are as happy as can be!!! Also bristlenose love discus water!!!

weird
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 02:22 PM
You may have to think about getting a bigger tank down the track, perhaps sooner than later unless your willing to move the other tank mates out, Discus will grow, the sailfin pleco will grow ... very nice tank btw ;)

How big do gold plecos get ?

Is that your website ? Very very nice

MangoR34
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:56 PM
The Gold pleco grows the same size as the sailfin. Im getting a larger tank once the plecs grow up. I was thinking a 6X2X2 fully planted. Once the bristlenoses grow larger im moving them to another tank for breeding. The reason I want to add discus to the tank is because none of my fish swims out...until feeding time.

dizzy discus
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:48 AM
The gold pleco you mentioned, is that the same as a gold nugget pleco?

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:04 AM
thats a very nice tank and fine for 2 discus for now :D ofcourse you know that you will have to up grade in the near future but this is fine atm.

i got 2 gibbiceps (sailfin pleco) not long ago at the size of about 6cm and they have grown to about 10 - 12 cm in the last few weeks since i got them. they will be good tank mate for the discus :D

are you using co2?

Trebs
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 02:01 AM
I'd wait and get the discus when you have a larger tank. You'll get better growth that way.

MangoR34
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 02:51 AM
Im using DIY co2, but the tank has lots of circulation...enough oxygen got the catfish at the bottom to not come up for air.

The gold pleco, looks like an albino sailfin, I dont know if it is or not, so i say its a gold pleco.

My dad used to be a hardcore breeder with discus, it was his idea to put discus in it...i think he wants to start again :?