PDA

View Full Version : discus and filtration

Stuquarium
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:41 AM
is there such a thing as to powerful filtration?

i just bought as 2000 litre per hour internal filter for my 55g discus tank. to go with my cannister 1700CF

is it to strong? do discus like current?

i placed the filter at one end of the tank and it nearly blew my plants out of the water the current was that strong.. it looks like i'll place it on the back facing forwards, or do i forget it and get something else.. ?

i saw discus shops with these filters and throught it would be a good idea. they were intanks smaller than mine too.

ctvu
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:55 AM
is it to strong? do discus like current?

Yes I would say it is strong and discus would not like strong current. HTH

ctvu

Stuquarium
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:59 AM
ive put it facing the front of the tank. and on its lowest setting,

the discus are out and about...

whats everyone else think?
to much or sinf if i place it at back of the tank facing forwards

Bill T.
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:22 AM
I use two e-heim canisters, one each end of my 140litre tank. The spray bars distribute water evenly - fish are happy.

Stuquarium
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:26 AM
i have a cannister. but its only just doing the job thats why i bought his internal filter...

it was cheap, i dont have alot of money... so that was my answer.

leanne31
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:35 AM
I have a pretty powerful internal filter in my tank also I have it on the back wall but facing the side of the tank about 15 cm away so all the flow hits straight into the side of the tank and none of my fish seem to mind and I have 11 in a standad 4ft.

Stuquarium
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:39 AM
how does that work leanne?
how to you keep it upright if its noot suctioned to the back?
or have you got something on it to redirect the flow sideways?

leanne31
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:44 AM
The top of mine swivells around so I have it facing to the side.

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:45 AM
try putting a spray bar on the filter. and just have it breakin the waters surface. this will take alot of the current away

HTH

Stuquarium
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:47 AM
good idea! a sray bar! hope they are cheap and fit my aqua one internal filter

too easy..

thanks guys

wyldchyld01
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:30 AM
Stu,

Don't forget the DIY side, a piece of 10ml hose from the powerhead onto a pvc pipr with holes in it. add a suction cap to hold the 10ml hose in place and bob's your uncle

Why go to the trouble of trying to find a part that is already made when you can custom make the desired part.

Brenton

Stuquarium
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:35 AM
yeah i was thinking DIY
after i found out theres no commerical spray bar avaliable.

what type of hose though... aquarium kind? garden kind ? other kind ?

it would be good if there was some DIY spray bar stuff on the net.

jim from sydney
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:56 AM
if your filter has an outlet somewhere, you should be able to fit some plastic tubing over it...{try bunnings}..drill some little holes and bingo....you have a home made spray bar...works for me....Jim

Stuquarium
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:59 AM
yeah easier said then done. i'm not that mr fixit minded so it'll be a struggle..

i dont have a drill either..
grrr! woe is me! lol

jim from sydney
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 12:11 PM
you can make small holes by inserting a hot needle or something like that ...the plastic will melt anyway, otherwise find a friend with a drillbit..just ask at work or uni or where ever you hide during the day...make people aware of your problems and you will be surprised what result you get....Jim

Stuquarium
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 12:14 PM
thanks jim will do.

hot need good idea

Stuquarium
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 10:32 PM
update

i got some pieces for my do it yourself spray bar. and they seems to fit nice and snug..

not snug enough. adding holes.. about 6 and putting it all together the filter just blew the make shift spray bar off straight away.

obviously the pieces didnt fit tight enough

aloth i've left the corner peice i fitted on, and pointed it at the side glass.

this seems to be working without creating much current at all,

the filter is spitting alot though..

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 04:42 AM
Stu, those holes in the spray bar would need to be big, at least as big as this 'O' to allow sufficient flow through, and you would need more like twenty holes, rather than 6.

One thing I found that worked well for me, is the end off the filter intake. The thing that goes over the end to stop things getting sucked into the filter. You can buy them in all sizes, so find one the right size to just fit tightly over your filter outlet. They have lots of holes and slots to allow the water thru, but it is enough to break up the current. Might be worth a try.

kalebjarrod
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:30 PM
i have a 200lt per hour internal in my tank

i put it in the corner of the tank and aim the flow directly at the glass, 2-3cm of the glass

that diffusers the water enough

if your pump fits 13mm tube you could just put a gravel vac on the end of it, glue 2 or 3 bioballs in it and that diffusers enough

it is the same design you can use on a diy co2 reactor :wink:

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 12:06 AM
isnt it a 2000Lph pump ryan not a 200Lph? didnt look like a 200Lph? :shock:

kalebjarrod
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 03:17 AM
2000ltphour is correct

on the coner tank :wink:

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 04:47 AM
lol it looked a bit to strong to be a 200Lph LOL u goof ball

kalebjarrod