PDA

View Full Version : what happens when new fish are introduced to school

wyldchyld01
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 04:37 AM
Hey all,

As a side topic (after looking at Bronx19 thred), is there things we should look out for if adding new fish to our tanks. What happens to the hierarchy and how long does it take before everything settles back into place and they start schooling again???

Any ideas thanks

ctvu
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:19 AM
Hi Wyld

I m sorry, I'm lost your question please more specific.

ctvu

nag
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:55 AM
Hi WildChild:

Is this what you were looking for??
Linky (http://www.indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6691&sid=fd4d9853da13fcbe190b1cb1d51c3097#6691)
Bye,

wyldchyld01
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:22 AM
ctvu,

are there things we should look out for if/when adding new fish to our tanks. What happens to the hierarchy and how long does it take before everything settles back into place and they start schooling again???

Three separate questions,
1. Is there atypical behaviour that beginners should look for as being normal when adding younger fish to an already established discus tank

2. How long does it usually (in discus keepers like in this forum) take before the original fish in the tank accept the new tankmates (re schooling).

3. How long before the discus school hierarchy reforms,adding the positions of the new fish to the school (discus being schooling fish)

thanks for the input

Nag,

Link requires logon, or membership, can you copy details or link to similar info

cheers

All the rest, come on surely you've added new fish to your existing tanks, what happened, what would you do differently, what things did you think normal until the worst happend.

Brenton

colinM
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:33 AM
My experience is that clearly there is a change in behaviour and a settling in period moreso first day till all seem to find personal space.
Fortunately, have not had any constant hounding, have usually distracted the clan with small feeds.
Having said that in a previous more paranoid life I then removed the aggressor and later returned after day or so, don't know wether fluke/coincidence but all seemed well.

Regards Col.

ctvu
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 10:49 PM
Hi Wyld

Thanks for being more specific, and below I will try my best and HTH.

1. Is there atypical behaviour that beginners should look for as being normal when adding younger fish to an already established discus tank

I would say that every one here will expect the new fish added in not eating for a while which depends upon your fish, general speaking the older would take longer to get used to the new home it may be 2-3 weeks and ofcourse the younger one could take less.

They could be shy, staying in corner or hiding behind objects in the tank.
Persnonally I always put some thing for them to hide.

And sometimes they would be bullied by the boss of the tank (old fish)

Uuummm what else did I miss? That is all what I think of. Perhaps the other could have some thing more

This LINK (http://members.aol.com/bgdiscus/discus.htm) is very helpful for beginners you may want to have a read.

2. How long does it usually (in discus keepers like in this forum) take before the original fish in the tank accept the new tankmates (re schooling).

It really depends on individually fish sometimes it’d take 1-2 weeks depending on how young they are (the younger may take 1 week or so the older 2-3 weeks) sometimes never which rarely happens

3. How long before the discus school hierarchy reforms,adding the positions of the new fish to the school (discus being schooling fish)

The same above.

Please don’t forget QUARANTINE before adding them in, or you will be sorry later on.

Once again HTH and enjoy your new fish.

ctvu

wyldchyld01
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 02:45 AM
cheers, i wish i had new fish, but i hadn't seen much on our site about new fish being added and thought it'd be interesting to see what experiences people had had in the plast.

btw that was an interesting read, some things i hadn't thought of before, i try with my tanks to mimic their natural environment as closely as possible

Brenton