PDA

View Full Version : Leveling a Tank

Bronx19
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:20 AM
Hey guys, I have just found that a stand im placing a tank on isnt quite level.
The floor is level, but the top has a slight dip at one end.

Now the tank was set up and running when I bought it, only it was on an inch of foam. I now have it on the regular thickness foam.

But my question is, if i fill the tank, will it sink into the foam more at one end than the other, and level itself out, or is there a serious chance it'll bust?

merman
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:29 AM
I would level it as much as you can prior to relying on the foam to do it.

Bronx19
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:33 AM
Yeah, its a fairly large discrepency. 8mm at one end of a 6ft tank.

Trebs
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:19 AM
I've had this problem before. I used thin high density foam to build up certain parts of the base to get the stand level. Ensure all of the load bareing points of the stands base are evenly supported. The foam will compress slightly with the additional weight when you fill the tank.

Bronx19
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:30 AM
Thats the tricky bit, you see the stand is level on the ground, but its the actual top of the stand that is a little curvy.

95% of the base of the tank is sitting flat on the foam, but one end is in floating high by 3mm and the other 4mm.

The problem with shimming it, is that the flat surface the tank is on, only starts to fall away at about the last 20cm on each end.

Is it more important to get all four corners sitting flush or the base, or both?

I did a quick drawing fo the prob at hand:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Bronx19/TankNightmare.bmp

Bill T.
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:20 AM
That's warped!
What about getting some masonite or acrylic sheet from the hardware store and build up the ends?
Also, what happens to the stand when you fill with water? Does it settle under pressure?
Perhaps get a new top from a cabinet maker?
You wouldn't want the tank to crack!!!!!!

Bronx19
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:31 AM
lol

Of course thats an over exagerated picture, like I said, its only 3mm/4mm each side.

I have thought about building the ends up, I have slid a few sheets of paper in each end to bring it to the 3/4mm out point.

Its hard to find anything thin enough to make a level base without making large areas of th base of the tank float.

The thing is, they previous owner had it running on a sheet of foam with no shimming at all, and from what I measured before shimming, the cabinet top falls away at least 9mm at one end.