PDA

View Full Version : Water testing - Mv - what should it be?

Sean
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 01:45 AM
Howdy,
I have purchased a portable pH/mV/temp meter and cannot find any info on the web regarding what the mV reading should be in aquarium water - there is a bit of info reagrding the mV range for reef aquaria, but nothing for fresh or discus tanks that i could find. pH/mV readings for 3 of my discus tanks are as follows: 7.2/-25; 6.91/-7; 6.49/17. MilliVolt readings are a measure of the ion levels in water and for the chemists amongst us (not me tho) oxidation/reduction potential of the water. These readings do not seem to relate to GH levels as they are 125, 125, >214ppm respectively. As for my other chichlid tanks the mV values range from -45mV to +63mV, and Adelaide water is -46 and RO water is +37. Any ideas or info would greatfully received.
Cheers
Sean

Benny
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 02:17 AM
remembers yr12 chemistry

Oxidation
Is
Loss of electrons
Reduction
Is
Gain of electrons

hrmm I remember somethin about if u apply a voltage greater then the potential voltage, an ionic reaction will occur or something like it?????

Hrmm,
Ill try remembering more later...
I got accounting information systems test to study for :(

merman
Sun Jun 19, 2005, 11:57 PM
Is mV related to conductivity of water, if you search the internet for this it may help, prob not the nesscessary for FW as there aren't anywhere near as much salts so conductivity as fairly low.