PDA

View Full Version : thin layer of film on surface??

nature
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 09:41 AM
hey all... i notice that there is a thin layer of substance on surface of my planted tank, this could be caused by the co2 system i have there... the question is will this affect discus in term of health and all? at moment no fish except algae eater, they seem to be fine, am still waiting 4 plants to grow hehehe

wyldchyld01
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 10:59 AM
hey Nature,

It could be that the surface isn't being stirred up enough, but seeing as though the surface is where gaseous exchange takes place i'd say it would have an effect yeah, how much depends on whether it looks oily or not, try some more disburbance of the surface and see how it goes but i don't think you'd have a major issue on your hands.

Brenton

leanne31
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 11:03 AM
Thats on my tank all the time and i dont have co2 or anything and it doesnt effect my fish at all none of them have even been sick before so it doesnt worry me anymore.

nature
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 11:56 AM
I have a little bit of surface disturbance atm... i found if too much, ph is at 7.5, while no disturbance ph at 6.8 due to co2 system... gonna get some cardinal tetras later n see wht happen, before any discus in it :)
thx 4 the confirmation guys :)

duck
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:26 PM
It won't harm your fish as i have it aswell.
Keep the disturbance to a min or you will just waste your CO2.

Fishpimpin73
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:31 PM
Real simple technique for removing that "film"

Use a paper towel and "skim" the surface :wink:

Nine times out of ten it is either oil from your skin, or something in the air of your place.

Normally completely safe as far as your fish are concerned.

For C02 users..........

Get yourself one of those cheapie skimmers.
It will remove the "slick" without increasing surface agitation :wink:

HTH

kalebjarrod
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 08:42 PM
there is also a product that you can put on the outlet of your canister,

it is a rotating tip that turns the direction of your flow slowly

just above this tip it has a little section of foam which collects all the "scum"

:wink:

nature
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 05:30 AM
Thx guys for the response
gonna keep surface movement to da minimum, pump up the growth 4 plant :)... then once a week skim the surface with paper towel *cheap* hopefully work if not gonna luk 4 the skimmer :)
Am assured now and just waiting for a group of discus from rod :)