PDA

View Full Version : tank cycling new tank from old

spencer
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 10:18 PM
Hi
I am about to start cycling my new tank today
I have a old 4ft tank that has had 5 goldfish in it for about 2 years
would I be able to use some rocks and gravel from that tank to help kick start the cycling, or could that be a risk of introducing disease into the new tank
The goldfish are all very healthy, but wondering if they may carry anything that could be passed to the new tank by using rock gravel etc from their tank
Thanks for any help

Ps I am using Seachem Stability to start the cycling

DR.V
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:52 AM
goldfish can look very healthy but they may not.
a sick goldfish would still eat normally.
if you already have 5 goldfish in it for about 2 years, then the tank already cycled right ??

DR.V
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:55 AM
Anyway, you should check the water perimeter.
A tank is properly cycled when

Ammo = 0.0, Nitrite = 0.0, Nitrate = 0.0

Good luck

dreamer
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 02:02 AM
cycled tank should always have some nitrate. unless large wc perform several times a day or a fully planted tank

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 10:06 AM
Hi Spencer, yes it's fine to use some gravel from your existing tank to kick start the cycle in your new tank.

How will you do the cycle. Are you going to add liquid ammonia and do a fishless cycle. That seems to be the best option.

Start by adding 5 ml of liquid ammonia to the tank daily, and watch for the ammonia to peak, then begin to drop as the nitrite begins to peak. Eventually the nitrite will drop and then the nitrate will rise. Cycle over. Don't add any more ammonia, and do a big water change before adding new fish. Easy.

Should take about 10 days and you're ready for fish. :wink:

spencer
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 09:48 AM
Hi Ladyred
I am using Seachem Stability to cycle the tank,
I like their products (not their price) but I thought I would give it a try
Be interested to hear if anyone else has used or is using this
Cheers Max

Matthew
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 12:39 PM
I dont cycle my tanks. I just take water (around 70%) from each tank, then fill up the new one, run the filter for a day, and drop in the fish!

sounds stupid and unsafe, but my fish are alive :P

-Matt

leanne31
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:46 AM
And Matthew you do this with discus do you.