PDA

View Full Version : hi hi :)

Matthew
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 05:20 PM
Hey guys :).

just wondering what a nice varient of discus is too buy. im going to try my luck with them but would like a Pure Black species with red stripes or a White species with black stripes (or vica versa)

any of these exist, price, etc

and what basic info is too go off with these lil critters?

-Matt

kalebjarrod
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 10:05 PM
Hay Matt,

you can't get blacks to my knowlege

you can get whites, but nothing with stripes (they breed the stripes out of them in the early PB stage, long story for another thread)

but you can get all manners of yellows, reds, orange, blue, greenish, whites, spotted, striped and combinations of most

Discus need clean water, warm water and variety in diet. 10gal per adult fish and by my memory you live in brisvegus so your water is pretty good you jsut need to kill the chlorimine in it

they are pretty easy to look after once you know the basics

good on ya mate

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 10:08 PM
THATS PRETTY MUCH IT :lol:

lol good 1 ryan ;)

chrissyoscar
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 11:02 PM
Hi Matt

Your not a Collingwood or Essendon supporter are you. :lol:

Oscar

dreamer
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 12:30 AM
some shop do have 'black' discus ie. very sick discus :x

ctvu
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 12:34 AM
Hi Matt

Your not a Collingwood or Essendon supporter are you. :lol:

Oscar

I think he is :P :P

ctvu

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 08:27 AM
Matthew............................discus now??????????

If you want to start in discus hun, I will send some to you. Just let me know :wink:

Proteus
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 08:42 AM
The one thing you dont want is Black Discus...

arggghhhhh the Plague

lol

Matthew
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 11:06 AM
thanks for all the help

I want a black discus, that would look cool! obviously healthy though.

ladyred, after you breed Heckel, your challenge is to make me a black discus thats not diseased! :p

-Matt

Matthew
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 03:29 AM
after talking to LadyRed and looking at the water restrictions... i think 1 less person with discus would help :)

-Matt

gav
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 05:55 AM
just take the water from your discus tanks, buff it up and put it in your african tanks. they will think its still fresh after the discus are done with it :lol:

goldenpigeon
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 06:08 AM
hahaha!!!!
hi gav and welcome to DF.com ;)

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 07:31 AM
Welcome to Discus Forums Gav. Hope you enjoy your time with us. :wave

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 07:48 AM
Junior ..................L00K......................1000 posts.

how cool is that :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2 :wave2

leanne31
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 07:54 AM
Congrats junior but im catching you

goldenpigeon
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 12:54 PM
hehehe thatnx merrilyn and leanne :D

tsk tsk tsk leanne u rnt close to me ;) i bet that will change now :roll:

leanne31
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 03:45 AM
I'll catch you sooner than you think remember I dont go to school. :lol:

Matthew
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 12:43 PM
hmmm... i would love discus, but cost/time is a problem for me :(

-Matt

kalebjarrod
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 10:54 PM
Matty,

your DIY literate

make a water change system

or i'll sell you one :wink: i'd even make it so it could change the water into another tank of fish for ya

and discus arn't that expensive, $20.00 will get you nice red turqs

leanne31
Sun Jun 19, 2005, 10:09 AM
Gees Ryan I wish I lived where you do I cant get a common turk for less than $50 and thats just for a real small one.

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 19, 2005, 11:08 AM
LOL leanne... but i dont have kids........ ;)

Matthew
Sun Jun 19, 2005, 02:09 PM
getting discus isnt a problem for me :)... its the constant water changing. i can make auto changers and what not, but i cant justify dumping so much water... even if it is only into the garden..

-Matt

DR.V
Sun Jun 19, 2005, 02:40 PM
when i do water change, i use it to water the plants on the garden too... So I dont have to spend extra water for garden.

kalebjarrod
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 07:54 AM
use the water in a barra tank or a general chiclid tank :wink:

jwight
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:18 PM
I am a little suprised that anybody in Adelaide hasn't replyed and said that there is numerous pure black discus (except eyes) in the planted display tank. They are healthy and have been there for years.

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:21 PM
Oh that is so interesting. Where did you see them, and can you get a photo.

I have never seen one :shock:

premier
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 05:11 PM
gee where is this tank i'll take a few photos and post them for you ladyred.

leanne31
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 11:55 PM
I havent seen any and Im always doing the lfs rounds there must be a shop that Im missing where is it :?:

Shawnts106
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 04:00 AM
Heck, Im brand new to the Discus world and IVE SEEN black discus, they were not pure black but one did have a solid BLACK tail!... it was awsome, yellow face, black tail and a red body! ... dont remember where I saw it though :(

Here in the US (oxford Alabama) I cant get 2 inch PB's, that are VERY colorful for $19.98 US DOLLARS!... thats good IMO, I want .. OH my Neon purple was 27.98us dollars but I want 2 more... I solid yellow or a major yellow and a Snakeskin, red and Turq or Turq and green or some other combo.. just a nice looking snakey!....

here is a picture of my 2 babys now... eatting like a crazy mad money chicken.... dont ask!

Shawnts106
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 04:01 AM
I cant get 2 inch PB's, that are VERY colorful for $19.98 US DOLLARS

I mean CAN!

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 06:41 AM
Well, I've had discus for thirty years, and I am yet to see a solid black discus.

So if someone can show me one, I would love to see a piccie.

Shawn the one you are talking about is a marlboro red. Lovely discus, but definately not all black.

Someone pleeeeeease show me a black discus. :o

Shawnts106
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 07:40 PM
Marlburo Red? It was sold as a PB.... its that redish color with some blue on its top and bottom fin with red inbetween the blue... isnt this a pb?... heres a better picture!

Proteus
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 12:53 AM
I have looked through several Discus books, and done some searching, the only Black discus out there is a dying one.

Shawnts106
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 01:44 AM
Well the one I saw seemed fine... it wasnt all black but did have a solid black tail... was pretty neat... A black discus is a dieing discus...

wait .. I have a question...

the peper look?... will it go away... is that just in juvies or in adults too?

leanne31
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 06:41 AM
They're talking about the whole body being black not just the tail I havent seen a full black discus but if jwight would like to say where he seen that one I'll be happy to take a photo of it if its healthy of course.
The peppering is like freckles and moles it will be there when its a adult as well.

Shawnts106
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:57 AM
always?... they dont grow out of it??... :(, darn... OH WELL, I still really like them.... is it just chance that they get them? or Genetic or is there a way to get rid of it?... of course not.. nevermind....

How do you get a Juvie Discus without it?... just luck of the draw huh?

leanne31
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 06:32 AM
Just buy one that doesnt show any signs of the peppering coming but still doesnt mean it wont have some when its a adult maybe just less.

Shawnts106
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:48 PM
What is pepering exactly... I mean, does it show that the fish is a male or female, is it genetic or environmental? Please explain!

Matthew
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 02:40 AM
peppering (AFAIK) is from bad bloodlines where the previous barring is displayed and "peppered" along the body from the line breeding....

it wont affect health, only the look of your fish :)

-Matt

Shawnts106
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 04:17 AM
:(, my babys have bad blood!!! :(

So as a discus breeder you want to look for the baby that has the LEAST amount if any at all peppering?

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 07:09 AM
LOL no Shawn, you baby does not have 'bad blood'.

The spotting was simply a developmental step along the way. Only a few years ago, all Marlboro discus showed spotting on the face or body. The breeders have continuously bred pairs with the least amount of spotting to produce a Marlboro Red with almost no spotting at all. What they refer to as a 'clean' discus.

I have fish with a lot of spotting, and others with no spotting. It's just a different colouration, but I like them all. I think the spots give them some character 8-)

Shawnts106
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 10:25 PM
ok, they feel better now... they are happy! they think they are unique!... lets call it that!