PDA

View Full Version : turning lights on

Darth_discus
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 01:42 AM
just after i turn the lights on i was wondering why the eyes of my discus pop out and then during the day they go back to normal when the light has being on for at least two hours

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 02:04 AM
um................. :shock:

i havnt noticed this happen to my discus before? is there a window near the tank to let a little bit of light in during sunrise? i find this sort of wakes them up a bit so they sont get frightened when i turn the lights on.

honestly i have no idea why this would happen?

HTH cheers

DR.V
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 03:14 AM
pop out ?? hmmm never heard of this ....
i'll check my discus ....

Darth_discus
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 03:53 AM
not so much pop out but the top pokes out and the eye is slanting towards the ground and then it straightens up

wyldchyld01
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 05:02 AM
never heard of this happening, but i could guess (wildly i'll add) that maybe the lights are too bright first off in the morning and their eyes tilt to capture more from below than being blinded with this initial brightness from above???

dunno, stretching i think but hth

Brenton

Darth_discus
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 05:20 AM
that actually sounds like a pretty good theiry, but if it is right what do i do to stop it

kazkirk
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 05:29 AM
My light are on timers, half come on, about 25 minutes later the other half come one. Same thing when they turn off. Stops the poor fish from freaking out.

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 11:51 AM
Can you turn the room light on first, for about 20 minutes before turning the tank lights on. It will give them time to wake up, and their eyes to adjust to the light.

It's nothing to worry about. Sounds fairly normal to me. Discus do take a long time to wake up.

Woll
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 12:02 PM
Our discus are awake long before the light goes on, it doesnt seem to freak em out, i guess they are used to it. but the tank is near a window with curtains so it does get a bit lighter, not much though.

lesxda
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 12:26 PM
I have put a timer on my lights so they go on when I am not there to push the button and scare the fish more.

les