PDA

View Full Version : Keeping FW yabbie and FW crab in discus water ??

Billy
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:36 PM
hi all,

Recently my friend gave me a few fw yabbies and fw crabs. i'm keeping them in one of the four tanks that go through a sump. so no fish is in that tank.

Will these yabbies and crabs bring diease to discus ?? i hav already QT them for a month now.

if they are fine then my next question is will they destroy plants ???
as i want this tank to be planted !! also what plant should i go for ??

Any ideas ??

Ben
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 10:33 PM
geez Billy, if it was me i would NOT risk those little guys with discus! they might have a go at the discus during the night as the yabbies are nocturnal.

Nice yabbies though, i would keep then in a tank by them selves!

HTH

Ben

Proteus
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 10:39 PM
Yabbies & Fish do not mix (well at least if you want to keep the fish alive anyway)

Merrilyn
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:01 PM
Ouch Billy ................. have a look at the size of the nippers on that baby :x

then think about how your mate caught them ...........with a piece of meat or fish ..............right?

Now put the two together. Fat Yabbie................no discus :?

kevkoi
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 04:13 AM
Yah... Keep yabbies with giant puffers!! :twisted:
Not with discus.

Proteus
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 04:24 AM
Mr Mbu

yum yum

the_oracle
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 04:49 AM
Woooooo.......
Yabbies with discus? Doesn't sound right.

Sanie.

duck
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 05:22 AM
I thought about it myself at one stage some FW crabs in my planted tanks,But the thought of a $10.00 crab with a $50.00+ discus not worth the risk.
As for the plants and crabs i don't know,I would think they would redecorate the tank for you.
If you do put them in a planted tank hopefully without other fish let us know what they do to it.

Billy
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 05:22 AM
No, they are in a different tank but sharing the same water because all the water goes to the same sump.

There are no fish present in that tank. i'm not that crazy or stupid to put any fish inside that tank

You guys hav miss read my question!!! :(

Proteus
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 05:28 AM
Will these yabbies and crabs bring diease to discus ?? i hav already QT them for a month now

I couldnt honestly answer that, but I doubt it...

however, I was under the impression that crabs and yabbies prefer a more temperate climate (18-22c)

As for the plants, I would be thinking they MAY make a salad out of them, but I could be wrong.

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:32 AM
Sorry Billy, I got that totally wrong :oops:

I honestly don't know if they have any disease that could be passed on to the discus. I'd be inclined to take that tank off the system, and run a separate filter in there.

The temperature could also be a problem.

wyldchyld01
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 12:53 AM
yabbies def prefer colder temps, as for plants yeah they'll more than likely dig them up looking for things underneath. and for sure there go the fishies.

disease, logically anything that inhabits the same aquatic environment can pass on pathogens and other nasties but then it also depends if they were wild caught or from lfs....lfs probably have the same diseases as the fish already, wild caught could bring something new that the fish are not used to so i'd be careful.

every fish can carry disease and pass it on to others who may not have come into contact with it before or have low immunity to it, most fish are just used to what is encountered in the hobby, have a look at a silver dollar under mike if you want to see diseases, they pretty much carry everything.

wouldn't risk it mate

Brenton

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 07:02 AM
i have keep them in the past and they are very hardy

why not a simple 2ft setup i would keep the spare tank for some more discus

but thats just me i can never have enough tanks LOL

madaboutfish
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 02:01 AM
Hi Billy,

I have a nephew who had some yabbies in a tank with gravel and plastic plants. The yabbies tried to dig burrows everywhere and chewed up all the plastic plants. They also ate up all the java moss that was in there. As they are scavengers they will destroy everything in a planted tank. Today the yabbies are kept in a tank with just gravel and PVC tubes to hide in.
Not sure if the diseases will spread spread to discus though.

Nick