PDA

View Full Version : summer project and first discus tank

discusfreak2005
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:04 AM
okay so i have a couple tanks right now, none with discus though, and once i laid eyes on that first discus a year ago, im obsessed. i didnt want to rush right into things and i already had some experience with aquariums for a couple of years and now im ready to take the plunge.

the tank i would be using is a would be converted 75 gallon, right now it houses goldfish but ill be moving these to a pond, these guys are about 6 to 7 inches right now, ive had them since they were under half inch. the tank has three 4ft bulbs each at about 40 watts. for filtration, im gonna go with some sort of eheim, i know theyre pricey but all i hear is good about them. i would also keep the two biowheels.

for substrate i have eco-complete mixed with black sand since this is a planted tank. water changes would be everyday since i find time to now anyways and it'll probably be a ph of 7 since that is what my tap is. i have a 200 watt titanium heater right now and it works perfectly.

as far as plants, i already have most of the ones i want and they consist of:
amazon swords
red dwarf lilys
varigated japanese dwarf rush
anachris
micro chain sword
cabomba
giant hygros(having a hard time finding these)
red crypt
radican queen marble
corkscrew val
anubias nana
java fern
tiger lotus

as far as fish go, get ready:
7 panda cories
5 swartz cories
9 nanus cories
1 bristlenose
7 ottocinclus
5 giant danios
6 discus im not sure as to what specific type yet but i love the blues and reds, probabaly a few turqs and pidgeon bloods
3-5 rams possibly down the road

there will also be plenty of driftwood

if you find anything wrong or that youd like to change to this setup please let me know

thanx

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:12 AM
sounds good!

duck
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:59 AM
I would add 1 more fluro the rest sounds good to me.

Merrilyn
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 04:02 AM
You will need to see how those giant danios go with the discus. They are a pretty speedy fish, forever on the go. It could work really well, or it could upset the discus. Just keep an eye on that one.

Otherwise, sounds perfect to me. :wink:

discusfreak2005
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:30 PM
yah, i was thinking about the lighting last night and decided to add another but the plants i have right now are fine but then again i will be adding more. im not sure about the danios though, ill wait and see what to do when i get the discus further down the road. thanks

wyldchyld01
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:02 AM
discusfreak2005,

i would be a little concerned (like ladyred) about the danios, ottos and rams but more because of the heat required for discus tanks, these fishies may not like the temp.

but hey, love the plants and you've obviously thought it through so i'd give it a go and see. sounds like one really nice looking tank when it's finished, maybe down the track you can post some pics, good luck

Brenton

discusfreak2005
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:56 AM
okay thanks, ill pass on the danios and ottos and go with two more bristlenoses. instead of the rams, are there some others small cichlids besides apistos or should i go with some tetras like a school of rummynose or cardinals?

leanne31
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 02:27 AM
I'd also suggest you get another heater as well as the one you have as if my calculations are correct your tank is around 300 ltrs a 200 w heater might have trouble sticking to the desired 28 to 30 degrees it needs to be.

Leanne

duck
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 03:55 AM
Otto's will be fine I have them in my tanks that sit on 30c (85F).

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 03:57 AM
Well your apistos and your cardinals are the classic tankmates for discus. Either or both would be great. Rummy nose are a good choice too.