PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P

chrissyoscar
Mon May 30, 2005, 12:14 AM
Well my Male Spotted Snakeskin has died.
He's been really sick now for 3 days and this morning he lost the fight.
It all started after a water change. He got a little dark and seemed unhappy.
That night he was in a corner and looked stressed.
The next morning I found all this brown flake looking stuff all over the base of the tank and my male was in a bad way. I quickly syphoned everything out and did a 50% water change. I also added salt. Yesterday morning the discus was on his side and there was a little more of the brown flaky looking stuff so I did another water change. I also gave the cannister a clean in case it was causing the problem. When I turned the cannister back on more of the brown stuff came from the outlet pipe so I think it might be algea. I'm stumped to why all of a sudden it's breaking loose from the pipe and making it's way into the tank. I syphoned it back out and did another 30% water change making a total of 80% water change yesterday morning. I raised the temp to 32c and added more salt. Unfortunately it didn't help as I found him dead this morning. I'm not sure whats going on at the momment but I have read others having discus die lately after water changes. Ben has also alerted me to the fact that Melbourne water in the Blackburn area where we are has all of a sudded got a higher PH level. It's usually around 6.8-7 but the ph reading I took yesterday was 7.5.
I'm assuming that the water change I did a few days ago had something in it and not only did it kill my discus but the fact that my tank had brown algea means it looks like it also killed the algea. This could explain why it was breaking loose from the outlet hose.
I'm such a goose Ben warned me about the water having a higher ph than normal but when I tested it about a week or two back it was steady as usual so I don't really bother checking my ph when I do a water change.
Could it be the PH that caused it? :cry:
Here's a pic of him.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dave76
Mon May 30, 2005, 12:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss - a nice looking fish.

I know how you feel, I lost 4 discus after water change recently - and I'm in Perth.

Dave

ctvu
Mon May 30, 2005, 01:00 AM
I agree with Dave it was indeed nice fish I’ve ever seen. Really sorry for your loss, Oscar.

ctvu

kalebjarrod
Mon May 30, 2005, 01:11 AM
beautiful fish

terrible loss

Merrilyn
Mon May 30, 2005, 01:33 AM
So sorry to hear that mate. He was a darn fine fish.

I'm at a loss about the cause. Give me a day to do some research on the water, and I'll get back to you with my findings.

If this keeps up, we're all going to have to think about getting RO units. :(

chrissyoscar
Mon May 30, 2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks everyone, he was a great looking discus.

I did a ph test today on my tap water and it was around 7 which is normal. I'm at a loss to why the waters ph was so high the other day.

I'll be getting more discus soon so I'm still hoping to breed discus one day!!!
It's my birthday soon so my wife has given me permission to purchase some as my birthday present.
I'll probably get 4-5 young discus and put them in my 4x2x2 and hope that over the next 12 mths I get a good breeding pair.

Oscar

Ben
Mon May 30, 2005, 04:36 AM
Oscar, i am so sorry for your loss, He was a great fish!
There is something very strange with the water in the blackburn area at the moment, i checked it a couple of days ago when i was filling my drums and the test water was extremely blue, above PH 7.5.

Very sorry once again about your loss,
Ben

you have PM

timothy1051
Mon May 30, 2005, 05:28 AM
hay i am sow sad :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

DR.V
Mon May 30, 2005, 08:30 AM
you serious ????

jim from sydney
Mon May 30, 2005, 10:02 AM
Oscar......that was a great fish Pal...you certainly tried all the right things...sometimes there are so many varables to keep up with that in the end we may well loose the fight. Keep your spirits up, we also have GOOD times......Jim.

wifey of axelfaz
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 08:14 AM
stunning discus sorry for your loss :(

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your fish Chris, it's never easy losing them but I doubt a Ph change of .5 - 1 is going to be the culprit. I would be looking for other things in the water such as heavy metals etc.
MAC

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 01:57 AM
yer gee that sux!