PDA

View Full Version : How I Got Sucked in

marg
Sat May 28, 2005, 08:18 AM
To the reader, Beware - this is pretty long winded (a saga really) :

It's really interesting reading everyone's comments contained in this Forum. Before I first started with my Discus (approx. 2 1/2 years ago) I had a 2 foot tank with an Undergravel Filter, and being a newbie I had evrything imaginable in the tank - very overcrowded - (Angels, Mollies, Platys, Neons, Albino Catfish, Colwn Loach and a small Knifefish -you name it, I had it) :oops: . Mega Overcrowded. The people in the Fish Shop didn't tell me that my Tank was overcrowded - they wanted the Sales and I was definately a real sucker. :evil: . Around that time I bought some Fish Books and worked it out for myself - Decided I had to get a bigger Tank :!: .

I Went into the local Fish Shop to buy some Fish Food, - sighted some Discus and I was gone big time :D . I ended up giving all the Fish I had away except the Clown Loach and the Knife Fish (still have them both today), the Neons and the Catfish. Next thing I sighted a 180 Litre tank for sale at a Garage Sale so I bought it, scrimped and saved (I unfortunately am on a Disability Pension) and added a smallish Cannister Filter to the Tank together with the Undergravel Filter and over the next couple of months purchased 4 Discus - a Blue Turquoise, Red Marlboro, Blue Diamond and a Brown).

I asked the Lady at the Fish Shop how often I had to change the water (she told me hardly ever :?: :?: :?: , and away I went. THEN the fun started : :x . Huge Algae Problems - methinks no worries, Change the water (All the water :oops: ). Cloudy Water - off to the Fish Shop to try and get something to fix that. :?

Eventually, no thanks to the Fish Shop Lady but through reading a Book I purchased on Discus, I learnt that they liked clean water, so commenced to do Weekly Water Changes and all began to settle down :D . To this day I still have three of my original Discus - the Brown didn't survive the horrors I put them through. I have since altered my Water Changes and do 30% every Second Day (if that is wrong, please correct me, but everything seems to be working fine at the moment).

I Can't remember the exact dimensions of the 180 Litre Tank (it was Cube shaped) but eventually because of my disability it became too hard for me to clean - I have a shoulder problem and had difficulty vacuuming the bottom of the Tank), and my family bought me a bare 4 foot (250 Litre) Tank setup. I transferred all the Plumbing into that Tank and transferred all my Fish into it, then sold the old Tank.

12 months ago I went to Sydney with friends and on the way home we stopped at Strictly Aquariums in Campbelltown, and I fell in love with a pretty pale coloured Discus with slight orange markings on it and as it was very reasonably priced I bought it. She coloured up beautifully and turned out to be a Pigeon Blood.

By this time I had decided that my Local Fish Shop was a rip off and vowed I would never buy anything from them ever again ( except Fish Food, until I could get a better source). 6 months ago we again went to Sydney and this time I purchased a small Red Turquoise.

I was reading the local Classifieds and found another 2nd hand 4 foot (340 Litre) Tank - this one also had a larger Resun AE-806 Filter with it, Light, Cabinet etc., and it was pretty reasonably priced so after a bit more scrimping (who needs to eat when you can cater to your Fish :wink: :wink: ) I purchased it. I moved everything except the Discus into it (after scrubbing it out for 2 days and transferring half the water from my other 4 foot Tank into it) and decided to sit back and watch what happened.

Of my Original 3, the Red Marlboro has paired with the Pigeon Blood, they have had numerous spawns and even got to wriggler stage on a few occasions but the fry failed to attach due to the size of the Tank. I did transfer them into the 2 foot Tank with a bare bottom however they only spawned once then promptly ate the Eggs after two days. They are on strike at the moment after spending three weeks in the small tank without doing anything but after conversing with Ladyred I am assured that this is normal - so I have put them back into the 4 foot Discus Tank and am watching them and at the first sign of anything I will transfer them back into the 2 foot tank (with a sponge filter that I have circulating in the discus tank).

The Blue Turquoise and the Blue Diamond are either Two Females, or one Female and a really Dumb Male - I haven't properly caught them in the act, but I have observed the Blue Diamond making runs over a Flowerpot in the Tank - the Turquoise makes a run every second or third time (I havent really been able to get a proper look at his/her plumbing when this is happening, cause the minute i try to look, he/she spins around, faces me and just sits there glaring!!) - the Eggs are really Orange - they both fan them lovingly for two days (and if I approach the Tank the Blue Diamond starts his/her Tuff Stuff up again and attmpts to have a go at me through the glass - about half stay orange and the other go white (obviously unfertilized) - and then they gobble them up :? :evil:, so I am still out on what the Blue Turk is. I know the Blue Diamond is definately Female as I have seen the eggs peeping out of her breeding tube, but I'm unsure about the Turk, who won't let me have a good look. I'll just have to keep on watching.

One month ago I went to Sydney with my son and we went to see a chap by the name of Col Stewart at Mount Druitt and I ended up coming home with 2 Gold Pigeon and 1 Pigeon Cross (Red Melon or Red Marlboro?) Juvenilles. I have put them into the Community Tank together with the small Red Turquoise to let them grow out, as they are all around the same size. When Money permits I intend to buy more Juvenilles as that is the only way I have been able to afford what I've got so far. I must be doing something right as so far I have only lost one, that being the brown, and I have had no major illnesses so far.

Col Stewart was really helpful (he operates as Prestige Aquariums - he builds tanks, Imports Discus and also sells Filters, Lights, Fish Food etc., he operates from home but boy has he got a lot of Fish gear. His Discus Room really blew my mind - I have never seen so many Discus together, I only wish I had an open Cheque Book). Col gave me a Card for the Australian Discus Association and I have contacted the Secretary James Tilley and have since applied to join same. James gave me their website address and that is how I got onto this forum. Boy am I glad I did, I am learning so much. Prior to finding this site most of the Sites I found were American and because I am not real Computer smart I found it hard to get into their Forums - and I wanted to find an Aussie site - it wouldn't matter how cheap their Fish were, I couldn't afford to buy into them.

I'm coming up for air now, but let me say that I really love this site and really appreciate all the information I am able to glean from it as I want to be in Discus for a long time.

I have just ONE Question :- Does anyone know what next weeks Lotto Numbers will be - I really really really want to buy more of these beautiful Fish :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

goldenpigeon
Sat May 28, 2005, 08:44 AM
yes i know next weeks lotto numbers but i have already used them :lol: too bad :lol:

geez ur lfs lady sounds like a real sleeze!!! o well there will always be the person who takes advantage of the unsuspecting but if you are smart and determined you will look past them and find someone better and you realize how low they are and in my case i go back there and start telling them that they have poor quality fish and point out everything whong about the fish i can. it really cuts them to bits :lol:

just my sense of fun and humour :lol:

o well at least ur winning the game. hope you can get more discus soon!

marg
Sat May 28, 2005, 09:06 AM
Yes Golden Pigeon, You're right. I.ve got my nasty side too. Last week when I went to get some Bloodworms (which she charges $5.00 per pkt for) I said to her "I've got 3 new Discus. They are really beautiful, and the bloke that I got them from was really cheap". She asked me how much I paid and I told her $30.00 each (true). She asked me does he sell to Pet Shops - I said I don't know, I'll see if I can find out (I will have conveniently lost his number when I see her next). I also told her I've joined a Discus Forum and am learning heaps.

From now on she'll only see me when I want Bloodworms (cause my Discus love them), but as soon as I can find a way of getting them elsewhere (and at the moment I am trying to work something out with Col Stewart - he will sell packs of 20 reasonably cheap - I've just got to work out how to keep them frozen betqeen Wagga and Sydney - perhaps my sons' Engel Fridge - it Cools and Freezes), she won't see me again.

goldenpigeon
Sat May 28, 2005, 09:11 AM
DEFINETLY A RIP!!!!!

i pesonally pay $25 for 10 packets but i also get a 10% discount on everything at my lfs. so i pay even less for my bloodworms. i feel very sorry for you but it happens and now they are out of pocket because they dont have your custom anymore! its a vicious cycle but you have now come out ontop and that is all that matters!

wyldchyld01
Sat May 28, 2005, 09:22 AM
don't let me ever cross goldenpidgeon lol,

i think shops that deliberately give wrong or misleading information is doing themselves and the hobby a dis-service. saying that i have come across a few is an understatement but the ones that do do right by us have me returning again and again.

once i got a ticket just from trying to get to a shop, never made it, but i'm sure one day i'll get into a place like kev's where they are honest and care more for your interest and the fish (from what i've heard) than just making money by getting you to buy things at exhorbitant prices.

personally 10 packs for $30.00 is ok seeing as i know where it is coming from.

brenton

marg
Sat May 28, 2005, 10:01 AM
Yes Golden Pegeon and wyldchyldo1, you are both right. Over the past 2 years I have spent heaps there, but no more :!: :!: .

I rang Col Stewart tonight and told him I hope to be coming to the next ADS meeting, and that I will ring him the week before so that I can arrange to take my sons' Engel and get some Bloodies from him (enough to keep me going until I can get to Sydney again at least). Hope to have a few Dollars saved as from what I have been told, at the ADS meetings some of the members also bring along Fish they want to sell. As I said before, I am only interested in Juvenilles' because as much as I would like them I can't afford Adults, so I have to be patient :roll: :roll: . Very hard for me, but soemone told me there is an old saying that "Patience is a Virtue". Well I'm certainly trying to learn "Patience".

I don't have much medication on hand for Emergencies (not that I've had any of late), but my Emergency Kit is as follows :

Methylene Blue
Quick Cure (treatment for "Ick" made by Aquarium products)
Fungus Cure by Aquamaster
Rapid White Spot Remedy by Aquamaster
Multicure by Aquamaster
MagicClear by Aquamaster
and last of all but not least Rock Salt as advised by Ladyred

Any more suggestions anyone?

marg
Sat May 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
Got to get off the Net for a While people. i will be back on about 11.30/12.00. Catch you then if you're up.

jim from sydney
Sat May 28, 2005, 10:40 AM
Margot....i also have been to the ADA and go to meetings in Parramatta. I haven't joined yet but will do so at the June meeting. You already know that the May meeting has been cancelled due to many members have gone to the Singapore discus show. They dont always have discus for sale at the meetings, only when members have some to sell. The meetings are very informative, the website is also great......Jim

Bronx19
Sat May 28, 2005, 10:49 AM
Margot, does Strictly Aquariums at Campbeltown stock many discus?

Is their selection of other fish extensive?

chrissyoscar
Sat May 28, 2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Margot

Great story, I love it when people tell us how they got into this hobby.
Myself I got into it about 12 years ago and started of similar to you as I also had a tank full of fish including one discus that I fell in love with and had to have.
I had a 36x14x18 tank with about 30-40 fish in it :shock: I know hard to believe but I knew no better and nobody told me so. Over a period of about 6mths my fish started dieing of but I thought it must be that fish don't live that long :cry: STUPID i know. I had an eheim filter that only came with carbon and all I did was clean it every 2-3 mths, that couldn't be good. You see 12 years ago aquariums sold you the stuff and hoped you had problems so that you'll keep coming back for help and more fish :twisted: well that's what I found with my LFS .
Today I think they are a little better as they know there is a lot of information on the net and a lot of people reseach the net before making a purchase.
Anyway after my disaster I quite keeping fish until about 18mths ago when I thought I might give it another try. You see I always loved having fish just hated killing them.
This time I did research and believe it all not I still made a few mistakes :oops: .
I'm getting better and hope to master it one day if that's possible.
At the momment I have a 48x18x18 community tank with 3 discus 5 Cardinal tetras 4 bristle nose and one siemese catfish, I also have a breeding tank with 2 discus and a grow out tank that's waiting for fry and I do mean WAITING. I'ts been a while but they'll get there. It's been on and off.

Perhaps we can start a thread with how people got started. I think it'll be great hearing how others fell in love with the king/Queen of tropical fish!

Oscar

goldenpigeon
Sat May 28, 2005, 11:14 PM
hi oscar there is a thread about how every1 got started in the lounge i think. anyway it isnt that old so have a read. my story is in there too :D

wyldchyld01 i think you might come across me very soon as i will very likely be in coffs harbour in the first week of my holidays :twisted: c u there!!!!! i will also probably be in sydney visiting family and SLS. so it would be good to catch up with a few ppl!