PDA

View Full Version : Discus sick after remodel

Radridd
Thu May 26, 2005, 02:02 AM
Just had my kitchen remodeled and have neglected my pets for 2 weeks(no WC) due to no water. My cobalt blue has what appears to be small holes in his head and color is dark but still eating well. My two blues and one blood have major fin damage on all fins. Have been doing 1/3 water changes daily for 3 days and the red has reappeared in the eyes of all but my cobalt. All have a good appetite and otherwise appear healthy. Had them for 3 years and while the wife is only concerned with the kitchen. I am very upset and unsure if I should use meds. I have always avoided their use and had good luck with only water changes and salt.

Merrilyn
Thu May 26, 2005, 06:10 AM
Hi Radrid and welcome to the forum.

Doesn't sound like too much damage to me. So long as they are eating well, and there is no sign of white droppings (fish poo) you should still be able to control things with just your clean water and the occasional addition of salt.

Raise the temperature to around 87 degrees, and increase the variety of foods in the diet. Use frozen as well as prepared foods, and feel little and often.

You should start to see improvement within a week. If not, or if you start to notice white droppings at any time, you will need to resort to medication.

Radridd
Thu May 26, 2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome ladyred and appreciate your advice. All of my discus seem to be doing better except for my cobalt blue. His color and appearance seem better but today he is not eating. He will pursue the food but will not eat. I am using salt at a rate of 1 tbls/10gal. Is this enough or too much?

chrissyoscar
Fri May 27, 2005, 04:11 AM
Hi Radridd

My female has been doing the exact same thing for at least 3 weeks. She hasn't eaten but she does go to the food just wont eat it. After reading your post I had a close at her and noticed that she to has little holes in her head. At least a dozen. I'm surprised I haven't noticed it before. I'm not sure but I think both our fish might have HITH (Hole in the head).
I hope I'm wrong, maybe someone can confirm or deny this for us.

Oscar

Merrilyn
Fri May 27, 2005, 01:36 PM
One tablespoon per ten gallons is the correct dose for salt. Just make sure it is pure salt, like kosher salt, and not the free flowing variety which has fillers in it.

The following is a reply I gave to another member who had similar symptoms to your fish. Hope it helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Luis, Your fish is showing early stages of the disease. Treatment is quite effective at this stage.

It can be transmitted to your other fish, possibly thru contaminated droppings, although little scientific work has been done in this area. It is believed that the pathogen responsible for Hole in the Head (also known by a variety of other names such as Hex, head and lateral line erosion and wasting disease) is Spironucleus Vortens.

An infected fish may show one or several of the following symptoms:-

Skin lesions around the head area.
Turning dark.
Refusing to eat.
White jelly like droppings.
Muscle wasting and pinched appearance above the eyes.

The best drug to use is Metronidazole (Flagyl) which you will need to get from your local vet. Ring first to see if he will prescribe it after seeing a photo of the fish, or if he insists on seeing the fish himself.

1. Do a 30% water change.
2. Set the temperature to 30 degrees, no higher.
3. Add 250 mg Metro per 40 Litres of water. Crush tablets to fine powder and mix with water to form a paste before adding to the tank.
4. After 12 hours, do another 30% water change and repeat the dose. This should be done for a total of 3 days.
5. During treatment the tank lights should be left off. Metro is affected by light.
6. A variety of good quality, high protein food with added vitamins and minerals should be fed several times daily. Include prepared dry food, beef heart, brine shrimp, green vegetable matter and blood worms in the diet. Remove any uneaten food and keep the water very clean.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Radridd
Fri May 27, 2005, 06:36 PM
It appears my pets have turned the corner to recovery. My cobalt blue is beginning to show his colors and is eating well today. All 4 of them are fighting over food which is normal for them. They even greet me at the front of the tank.

Merrilyn
Fri May 27, 2005, 11:28 PM
That's so good to hear :D