PDA

View Full Version : WTB [SYD] Discus

Benny
Wed May 25, 2005, 09:12 AM
Hey all, im in the market for some discus.. Either pm me or post pics here of what you have got going currently....

Thnx,
Btw have no preference for colouration

Benny
Fri May 27, 2005, 01:47 PM
Nobody has any thing for sale that isnt already advertised?

Looking for a pair of Juveniles,

Sum ones gotta wanna sell some?

Merrilyn
Fri May 27, 2005, 02:43 PM
Benny, as you live in Sydney, why not give SLS a call. They usually gave plenty to choose from.

Benny
Sat May 28, 2005, 12:07 AM
been there done that, im waiting for their new batch in QT.. was there yesterday :)

But they are fairly pricey :shock: its hard to commit that much money on a nice fish

Woll
Sat May 28, 2005, 05:08 AM
theres a saying, you get what you pay for....

SLS have good stock.

Benny
Sat May 28, 2005, 05:18 AM
i said they are nice fish!!
Im not stupid nor in denial!

as i also said, its just hard to commit that much money at such an early stage in my discus keeping hobby..

Im keen to see their new juvies when theyre outa QT they should hopefully be somewhat affordable

Bronx19
Sat May 28, 2005, 07:16 AM
What do you consider pricey for a juvenile?

Benny
Sat May 28, 2005, 08:04 AM
depends on the strain, peppering etc....

Not gonna generalise...

SLS is a fantastic shop for people that are confident their water wont kill the fish... if i had 0 worries, id buy fish from them without a bat of an eyelid... Magnificent fish, and meticulous tanks

goldenpigeon
Sat May 28, 2005, 08:51 AM
thats fine benny i understand what you mean. just remember to get a quality fish. you could always barter a bit. also look in the trading post and news paper classifieds. guys i think you are missing the point he is trying to make. i definetly did not buy discus that were expensive when i was new to discus. sure u only get what you pay for but you can get quality discus for a lesser price.

if anyone wants to know the reason why imported discus are a little on the expensive side is because of what it costs to get them here. first you have to pay for the actual fish from the breeder. then you need to get certificates for each fish otherwise customs will destroy any fish that does not have a certificate and you still have to pay for it. after that there is the cost of freight. when the fish is over here discus MUST under go 2 weeks of quarenteen before being sent to the shops for sale. during quarenteen customs will visit the facility at least twice to inspect. this costs SLS for example $250 PER visit. that means at least $500 goes to customs. customs are alowed to visit as many times as they want at SLS's expemse which means it is another $250 PER suprise visit. thats alot of money.

then u have to pay for quarenteen. that costs money. then theres tax, stamp duty and a heap of other red tape. pluss u are usually paying by american dollars. so it costs alot of money just for 1 fish.

a fish that SLS buys from the breeder may only cost $3.00 US. but after freight ect ect ect the cost SLS have to put on the fish may be $50. after that SLS needs some profit so theres another 5 - 15 bucks on the price so you have maybe $60 for the fish. other wise if there wasnt all those barriers the discus in Australia would be the price of angel fish.

so there you have it. alot of people think it is just a matter of shipping the fish over here but infact there is alot more to it than that!

benny good luck with finding some suitable discus mate!

Trebs
Sun May 29, 2005, 12:22 PM
20-30% mark up? Thanks, I needed a laugh.

kalebjarrod
Sun May 29, 2005, 09:51 PM
i would only suggest SLS to a new discus keeper because there fish have been tested by so many of us and have come up perfect

i understand the cost issue but if you are to buy a cheaper fish from someone you don't know you could end paying the excess in meds and stress

if you do buy else where just remember to have a long look at the fish, get them to feed the fish, ask about the parents, or where they came from

maybe even a couple of vists so you can see the fish over a week, maybe a few pics and we can help you make your decsion. :wink:

Benny
Sun May 29, 2005, 11:39 PM
I really appreciate all your tips guys,
Tis a pleasure to be a part of such a friendly and helpful community :)

But plz dont misinterpret what i said, i was by no means bashing SLS for pricing or whatever.... They all know their stuff, are lovely people, and their fish aint half bad :shock: :shock: :o :wink: either...

Cheers,
Benny

Merrilyn
Mon May 30, 2005, 12:55 AM
Benny, you are doing the right thing by being cautious. No one wants to buy a high priced fish till they are confident that they have the experience and knowledge to look after it.

Just take your time mate. If you go to the NSW Cichlid Society meetings, which are held each month, you may well meet up with some local breeders who could supply you with healthy, reasonably priced fish.

Meetings are held monthly, and the times and venue are advertised here in this forum.

Good luck with your search, and we all wish you success in your fishkeeping endeavours. :P

kalebjarrod
Mon May 30, 2005, 01:05 AM
never tought for an instance you where bashing SLS

just a hard toss up to find reliable fish at fair prices

have fun and let us know :wink:

mtchye
Mon May 30, 2005, 01:45 AM
I would also recommend Rod who is also a sponsor here. Great fish and he often has very reasonably priced juveniles.

SLS also often have some nice locally bred red turqs that are simply awesome quality for the price.

I have one and he has turned out excellent.

HTH

kevkoi
Mon May 30, 2005, 02:24 AM
How's $29 for a 6cm imported Red Turquoise sound? :wink:

$45 for 6cm high body, high fin, full blood red eye, no black baring on wrist of tail, super quality Blue diamond from Mr Beng Chye, Teo

All out of quarantine next Thursday....

I admit my habit of buying expensive discus stocks can be a bit daunting for new customers and beginners to SLS. My appologies... Last few shipments of fish have had a fair few too many expensive fish. This one coming out has some well priced ones (and some even too expensive to mention ones... :oops: :? :shock: ) Either way, Thurs-Sat would be a good time to visit and have a look at some nice new fish. ;)

chrissyoscar
Mon May 30, 2005, 02:44 AM
Kev

Have you got any 6-7cm spotted discus like leopards, leopard snakeskins or Eruptions.
If so can you please let me know how much.
Sorry for butting into this post.

Oscar

kevkoi
Mon May 30, 2005, 03:01 AM
Gee, I believe SLS has a few eruptions left at 7cm...

May not have leopards and leopard snakes (basically a lower quality eruption) available until next shipment. Too many fish, not enough tanks... :lol:

Benny
Mon May 30, 2005, 03:41 AM
kev that was the news i was praying to hear, though at the moment im not sure if my current discus have Hex or not :shock: :cry: Their behaviour has remained fairly normal over the past week, all eat happily and their poo's arent White, theyre a darkish grey and the other 2 are blackish lookin....

Grrrrrr got a Smaller tank now for QT, but my sponge is still cycling in my main tank and looks like its still got another week on it :( damniiiiiiiiiittttt i want new fishies