PDA

View Full Version : WTB[SYD] - Quarantine Tank

Benny
Mon May 23, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hey all, i am in the market for a quarantine tank, doesnt need to be anything special, just lookin for a simple 2' tank, though will consider what anybody has to offer :)

Also if someone has a filter that is adequate for such a tank, i may well be interested in that too, and a heater too (buying all 3 together would be a godsend) i have a smallish eheim foam filter that is a good 25+ yrs old (green octagonal design) but have no model number.. Guy @ LFS said that judgin how it runs, its bout 200L per hour... Would this be suitable? is there any way of identifying it? (there was a table of specs on the back, but they have since faded) i can get pics if any one is interested in helping a brother out :wink:

Thanks all,
Benny

Proteus
Mon May 23, 2005, 12:15 PM
Where abouts in Sydney are you...

I may be able to give you a 2ft tank...

Benny
Mon May 23, 2005, 12:18 PM
Northbridge...
However i have a car :D I travel to macquarie uni 3 times a week

Where are you located mate?

Hugely Appreciative

Proteus
Mon May 23, 2005, 12:28 PM
I am in the Sutherland Shire, however I can bring it to work with me (in the Eastern Suburbs) as I am there 5-6 days a week...

I will send you details via PM tomorrow and set things up if you want...

as for a heater and filter gear, all mine are either in action, or cycling so they are ready for new set ups

Benny
Mon May 23, 2005, 01:18 PM
I just did a test with a bucket of water, measuring jug and stopwatch...

it pumped 1L in 20sec.. By my maths thats 3L per minute, which is 180L per hour... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Seeing as its 25+ yrs old i think its remarkable...

Took some pics, maybe some of the more *experienced* forum members can identify it..

http://members.optusnet.com.au/benneufeld/eheim/

Proteus
Mon May 23, 2005, 01:30 PM
for a QT tank, all you really need is a sponge filter... the eheim you have got will be fine...

(you should put it in an existing tank to promote bacterial growth within the filter, that way it is ready to go)

Benny
Mon May 23, 2005, 01:42 PM
So if i let the lil eheim run in my main tank for it to gather bacteria, what should i do about establishing the quarantine tank then? start with a fresh batch of dechlorinated water? Or do i say 1/2 fill it with water from the main tank, and 1/2 dechlorinated tap water?

I have stress zyme @ hand which is also very nifty for increasing bacteria populations in a tank (or so the company reckons at least :roll: )

Thanks for ur help Proteus

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 04:11 PM
Just run the small eheim in your main tank till you need to use it for the quarantine tank, but for a least two weeks.

Those little eheims are a dream, and never seem to wear out. They still make models similar to that today. Perfect little workhorses.

When you need the quarantine tank, just fill it with fresh dechlorinated water, and add your filter, and you're set to add fish.