PDA

View Full Version : My 6ft Tank in Planning Stage 1

axl
Mon May 23, 2005, 10:59 AM
Hey,
i thought i would share some photos of my 6ft tank which is currently in planning and is at stage 1, this tank is eventually going to be a discus planted tank and i will keep ya upated when something elso goes on with it, the next step is to fully lay it out with plants and then discus and tetras
cheers axl

duck
Tue May 24, 2005, 05:37 AM
Looks good
You going CO2?
Try to get as many plants in there to out compete the aglae which will be a issue when you get it going it's normal with new set ups.

kalebjarrod
Tue May 24, 2005, 10:26 AM
Lovley tank

what are the light levels?

goldenpigeon
Tue May 24, 2005, 10:40 AM
very nice tank., do you have a sump under it?

axl
Tue May 24, 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi,
thanks for all ya nice comments im very exicted about how this is all going and now to answer all the questions. Im going to run injected co2 and stock the plants heavily in there, under the hood im running 1 double fluro and a compact light which gives me a total of 3.2w per gallon which in conjuction with co2 my plants will do very well and no im not running a sump, i thought i would use that 200ltr blue barrel in the corner of the picture for my water aging tank
cheers axl

Proteus
Sun May 29, 2005, 02:10 AM
OMG, just had an idea....

wouldnt it be kool if you could load that tank with a nice layer of grass, and have a few bunkers in there for good measure... (hint, photo above the tank)

kalebjarrod
Sun May 29, 2005, 03:19 AM
That would be a treat

but i would just chuck it in and meet you at the 19th LOL

axl
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 10:45 PM
and update photo planted some hygro along the back and some hairgrass in the corner

Proteus
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 12:38 AM
nice

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:49 AM
That's going to be a lovely looking tank by the time you're finished.

The step by step photos are great.

Keep em coming :wink:

DR.V
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 04:38 AM
nice looking tank, put more plants :P

axl
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 09:50 AM
another updated photo, those plants on the right along the back are clippings after 1 week without co2 going yet. This plant has amazing growth and dr v plants are coming just need some spare cash and it will happen and then get my discus.

duck
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:17 AM
Coming along nicely.
Try a get mainly fast growers at first.

jim from sydney
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:28 AM
Axl......great work so far......did you make or buy the support frame????...Jim

axl
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:39 AM
Hi Jim,
the cabinet was made by myself and my mate, everything was hand made including the hood, he makes them custom made to fit your tank and thats the end product. Are you interested in buying 1 if you are that would be great.

Hey Duck,
yeah thats what i have been doing cutting the 1 that grow the quickest dont need to cut anymore now for a while i have filled that back nicely do ya reckon they will fill in the back like your plants did

next thing i will put my two logs into place with java moss and anaubius nana all over them plus java ferns and then i will get your opinions on what plants to plant next to fill in the gaps

cheers axl

jim from sydney
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:57 AM
Axl......no dont want to buy....i make my own too....it is very rewarding to make things yourself.........well done...love the pics...keep them coming....Jim

axl
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 04:50 AM
here is an updated photo left is done now just gotta wait for the plants to fill out a bit and now i wll work on the otherside of the tank and the middle. Any comments would be preciated. i.e put more plants in 1 spot

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 05:04 AM
nice tank :D keep the pics commin!

heckelboy
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 05:32 AM
Please take more pics, it looks fantastic

axl
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 05:43 AM
another 1

jim from sydney
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
i am getting j............s

kalebjarrod
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 08:50 AM
lookin good

duck
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:31 AM
Coming along nicely.
Suggestion turn off the lights in the room and don't use the flash let the tank light's do that job.

axl
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 04:05 AM
Hey,
duck that photo is taken with the lights off in the room and it was taken with a digi camera so it dosent have a flash

Bud
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 04:22 AM
G'day Axl,

Nice tank mate. I like the way its coming along. Awsome looking stand 2, who made it? He has done an awsome job keep them pics coming.

chris
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:46 AM
Got any Discus in there yet Axl :!:

axl
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 05:49 AM
no discus in there yet, waiting for the tank to be completely finished with plants and then im adding 7 red turq from rod at sushine discus and more cardinls and bristlenose catifsh
axl

axl
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 05:49 AM
I thought i would share some of my updated photos on my tank, discus are nearly ready to go in and im very excited about getting them. Currently i have 20 cardinal tetras and a little army of bristlenose and i will be putting in 7 red turquiose from rod. Any comments or changes should be made please do. I have got some red plants coming to break up all the green.
cheers axl

jim from sydney
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 10:15 AM
Axl......getting better by the minute......the climax is when the discus go in ......when is it to be????....Jim

axl
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hey Jim,
thanks for the nice comments and im still waiting for another log to sink, its pissing me off, its been sitting in water for 3 weeks and its going on the right hand side with anubius all over it and then im waiting for the plants to grow a little more. Then the discus will go in hopefully very soon but im still trying to find a 200ltr drum to use as a ageing drum.
cheers axl

axl
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 10:33 AM
Hey Jim,
thanks for the nice comments and im still waiting for another log to sink, its pissing me off, its been sitting in water for 3 weeks and its going on the right hand side with anubius all over it and then im waiting for the plants to grow a little more. Then the discus will go in hopefully very soon but im still trying to find a 200ltr drum to use as a ageing drum.
cheers axl

duck
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 12:55 PM
Axl
It's really coming along nicely.
What's on the right of the tank looks like BN on the glass,It's quite big.

axl
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 11:17 PM
Hey Duck,
that thing on the right is a chinese algea eater, yeah your right they are huge they have grown pretty quickly

Bud
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Axl,

Your tank is coming along nicely. Cant wait to see them discus in there. Keep the updated pics coming. Nice work

Bud

axl
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 10:04 AM
Hi Guys,
though i would upload some photos of my tank, i was just looking at my old photos of my tank and cant believe how much it has grown, i supose i spend every minute of the day looking at it so you dont notice it as much. Discus are going in very soon just waiting for some glosso to arrive for the front right hand corner and then its close to done for plants. Any comments would be appriected.
cheers axl

duck
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 05:54 AM
Looking good,It's filled out quite a bit.
What have you got in the right corner now?

axl
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 06:20 AM
Hey,
i should also give some credit to duck as he has helped with my tank with the water chemistery side of things and algea, dont no what i would do without him.

There is riccia on the right hand side of the tank is that what you mean

jim from sydney
Thu Aug 25, 2005, 09:28 AM
Axl....looks tops......discus in???? when?????

axl
Thu Aug 25, 2005, 10:36 PM
Hey Jim,
discus are going in once i find a 200ltr water storage drum having trouble at the moment finding 1

axl
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:27 AM
Here is my updated tank pictures, i have changed the plants around since las t time and have figured out how to turn off the flash so pic are alot better. Discus are going in very soon i cant wait i will send my photos once the discus are in it should be awsome. Here it is

flukes
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:29 AM
Great looking tank..

axl
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:30 AM
another

duck
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:15 PM
Axl
That is one good looking tank you got,Everything is healthy as.
It has filled out nicely.

axl
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:44 AM
Hey Duck good to here from ya, the tank wouldnt look as good if wasnt for ya help, i really appriecte what you have done for me. I cant wait to get my discus. The only algea i get now is that green algea that grows on anubius leaves looks like green velvet

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:41 AM
Axl that is just gorgeous.

That's a beautiful home for your discus.

Can't wait to see them gliding thru that jungle LOL

duck
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 01:45 PM
No probs glad to help

axl
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:00 AM
Finally here are my new babys, they have been in there less than 48 hours, and are just starting to eat now. This has been a long time coming and plannnig but it has been worth every cent. I would like thank ben on supplying me with fish and Oakleigh Aquariums and all advice he has given me, couldnt do it without him. There are 5, 8 week old baby blue turqs and 4 brialliant blue turqs.

axl
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:02 AM
more pics, at the moment they are just exploring around in there new forest, the best thing is there are caves where the logs are and they like to go in and out of them and hide. 1 already has made his mark on 1 of the caves, every night so far i just sit in front of them and watch, there very amazing creatures and my misses is getting pisssed off becuase i am spending no time with her but I have plenty of time for viewing ha ha ha

Mattzilla
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:53 AM
wow that is an amazing looking tank!!!! well done..

that is the type of tank that makes me want to get into planted tanks and aquascaping

thanks for the pics
matt

Proteus
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 08:14 AM
Very nice, great work

Mulisha
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 09:21 AM
WOW!! :shock:

Nice tank man I wish my planted tank would start to grow like that :D

BTW what ferts, lights and other water par like PH and ammonia etc are at?
What filtration do use and what measurements is the tank looks stunning if I walked past that tank I would probbly trip over something looking to much lol

Great work man :D :D

Mulisha
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 09:23 AM
And one other quick question how much were ur Juvinile Discus if you don't mind me asking as i'm going to buy some Discus soon as I have taking a liking to them :wink:

Thanks and keep up the excellent work :D

axl
Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hey,
thanks for all ya nice replys i am very happ with how it has turned out putting discus in there has made it look double to what it was.

My tank measurements are

6ft x 1.5 ft 280ltr
Catlina compact fluro 3 x 55w globes
Normal fluro 2 x 36w
3.3w per g of light
Co2
2 x 1500ltr aqau pro cannister filters
1 x 15w Aqua pro UV sterilsier
Nitrate - 10ppm
PH - 6.38
KH - 2.8
Co2 - 33ppm
Po4 - 1
Ammonia - 0
25 -30% wc daily
Ferts- Using pure kno3 for nitrate levels, 1/2 teaspoon per wc
enema for po4 levels, .5ml every 1 - 2 weeks
seachem flourish, 3ml every wc
seachem iron, 3ml every wc

Ummm got the 4 discus from oakleigh $120 for 4 bargin and other 5 got real cheap of a guy and paid $20 each another bargin
cheers tim

duck
Wed Nov 09, 2005, 05:05 AM
Excellent tank you got Axl.