PDA

View Full Version : BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

axelfaz
Mon May 23, 2005, 10:16 AM
hi guys :cry: I left my fish room for 30 min and when i returned I found 1 discus dead.these are the fish i traveled to sydney to get. :cry:
tank is
ph6.5
amm 0
nitrates 0
kh 40ppm
gh 50ppm
this fish was swimming around the tank with no signs of any problems.
when i got home from work i did 30% water change with aged water.
these fish have only been picking at there food since ive had them.
when i got back from the bush i had a ammona spike lost 4 cardinals but did a 50% water change straight away. could this be from that.

thanks cam

axelfaz
Mon May 23, 2005, 11:15 AM
is there anyone that can help?

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 12:00 PM
Darn - sorry to hear that.

The ammonia spike would have been caused by the added bio load of several large fish in the tank, and the nitrifying bacteria colony not large enough to convert the extra ammonia.

There should have been more of a sign though. It's a most unusual occurance.

How are the other fish faring.

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 12:02 PM
Check your ammonia twice daily, and do water changes as soon as you see any kind of reading.

axelfaz
Mon May 23, 2005, 12:07 PM
hi LR they all seem to be hudling up in one corner at the momnent ammona spike was caused by a filter failer iam justing hoping they didnt come with someting.iam worried i will lose the lot. :(

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 03:55 PM
Are there any other symptoms. Like clamped fins, dark colouring, extra mucus on the fish.

You said filter failure. I gather it had been out for longer than a couple of hours. Did you clean it out thoroughly before you turned it back on.

Anything new gone in the tank?

How about any kind of spray in the room, or an adjoining room. It might help to add carbon to your filter now, to take anything toxic out of the water. Throw the carbon away after a couple of days.

Check your temperature for any sign of heater malfunction, and keep us posted on their condition.

wifey of axelfaz
Mon May 23, 2005, 09:43 PM
Hey there LR Cam asked me to do a head count this morning and I found another one gone. Cam is starting to regret getting back into discus which is really heart breaking. Some have clamped fins but some are as per normal. They appear to be breathing at a normal rate also. I sprayed a insect spray about five days ago three rooms away. So it is probably my fault.
:( :( :(

Kerry

Bill T.
Tue May 24, 2005, 02:31 AM
Maybe ........ maybe not!

You sprayed 5 days ago, which seems like quite a while to me.

Could be a combination of factors such as already sick fish, a bit of shock from transporting, further damage from the ammonium spike, low oxygen levels bc of the filter stopping (ie. even further damage), something in the water (- is the aquarium coverred? is the water ageing "tub" coverred?) which might be a bit of insecticide or some other pollutant (- what is Canberra water like these days?), a sudden shift in water parameters post water change, or even a mystery pathogen (ie: a bug of some sort).

I now buy my fish from a dealer that others on this web-site have recommended. Hubby could get some more transported without having to go to Sydney.

axelfaz
Tue May 24, 2005, 05:18 AM
LR i think ive solved the problem will pm u regarding this matter just waiting on something to confirm this if possiable i would like to speak to you over the phone about it

thanks for your help cameron

Bill T
i have a small internal filter as well so oxygen level should have been ok it wouldnt have kept up with waste from 8 large fish though. the tank is covered and so is the water ageing tank. the shock of transporting wouldnt of helped. like u i dont think it was from the fly spray? i think i will go trough rod lewis or SLS from now on if i continue? the last two days have been heart renching. :cry:

jim from sydney
Tue May 24, 2005, 05:29 AM
we are all interested.....pl post the results....Jim

axelfaz
Tue May 24, 2005, 08:42 AM
sorry jim had to wait for comfermation (spelling) they had HEX and were in the late stage :cry:

jim from sydney
Tue May 24, 2005, 08:51 AM
excuse my ignorance but what is HEX?????/ :?: Jim

axelfaz
Tue May 24, 2005, 10:50 AM
Hexemita :wink:

jim from sydney
Tue May 24, 2005, 11:25 AM
sorry to hear the sad news :oops: .....i believe that this is also called "hole in the head" there are some good articles on the net about it...most say it is caused by mixing water from one tank with another....is this what happened to you??????how many fish did it effect???Jim

Proteus
Tue May 24, 2005, 11:50 AM
Kerry or Cam, could you please PM me with the source of these fish

thanks

ctvu
Tue May 24, 2005, 01:21 PM
.....i believe that this is also called "hole in the head"

Hi Jim

Hex is not "hole in the head". Hex is kind of disease about intestinal flag.
the fish may not be interested in food, white feces and string mucus-like.
Sigh!! Actually I am having it now and treatment with Metronidazol.

Hi Kerry + Cam

Very sorry for your bad news. Pls keep us updated for the rest.
Did you do any thing to it?

As I said above I am dosing Metro currently for one fish that I suspect she may have Hex before it is too late like you stated before "it were in late stage". I will let you know how I go with that.

ctvu

Merrilyn
Tue May 24, 2005, 01:30 PM
Billl, we are just checking a few things before the results of this can be posted.

ctvu
Wed May 25, 2005, 02:19 AM
Hi Jim

My apology Jim, I should say “hole in the head” is usually associated with HEX which is Intestinal Flag. It’s not necessary that HEX has “hole in the head”, if you know what I mean.

ctvu

axelfaz
Tue May 31, 2005, 11:31 AM
HI all just a update after 10 or so sleepless night i can say that all remaining fish are on the mend.All appear to be eating and looking good so fingers crossed thankyou all for your help and support during a tough times.

Cameron&Kerry

Proteus
Tue May 31, 2005, 11:34 AM
we are only a post, pm, or even call away...

glad things are looking better.

ctvu
Tue May 31, 2005, 12:27 PM
HI all just a update after 10 or so sleepless night i can say that all remaining fish are on the mend.All appear to be eating and looking good so fingers crossed thankyou all for your help and support during a tough times.

Cameron&Kerry

Hi Cam & Kerry

So glad to hear some good news on your fish. Pls don't forget keep us updated.

ctvu

axelfaz
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 04:27 AM
well 24hrs on and still fine fingers are getting sore though

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 05:17 AM
We're still with you mate :)

ctvu
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 02:33 PM
Hi Cam

How are u going? As u also know I got the same problem.

Anyway thought I'd let u know after almost 2 weeks treatment with metro my fish started picking the food.

I am hoping your fish will be well soon.

ctvu

axelfaz
Fri Jun 03, 2005, 02:37 PM
hi ctvu good to hear all of mine started to eat yesterday and know they want stop. I suppose 2 + weeks with out eating will do that to you. keep us up to date on your fish.

Cameron

ctvu
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Cam and all

How are they going? Cam.
Update on my fish: last week she picked only BW nothing else, and not much though.
Yesterday I fed her colourbit, she started picking up too but again not much.

The first time I got hex, it took for the other one almost 2 weeks to recover 100%, but this time it’s almost 1 month now gradually getting better.

ctvu

wifey of axelfaz
Fri Jun 10, 2005, 02:09 PM
Hey there ctvu

Ours are slowly getting there. They are eating well but I watch them like a hawk now. I have become all paranoid. We kept discus for years and never lost any than we had a 2 year break got back into and had all these drama's. At least we are wiser now :)

Kerry