PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water????

pitchblack
Fri May 20, 2005, 01:38 PM
Hey all im getting a bit frustrated every time I do my water change the tank goes cloudy. It gets to the point where I do another water change 50% instead of the usual 30%. Im not adding any liquid fertilizer just dechloronater. I thought it was my filiet but I have just cleaned it out in a bucket of tank water and yet again the tank has gone cloudy. Should I be worried????
my parameters are
ph 6.7
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
gh 20ppm
kh 100ppm

any suggestions im baffled?????

Merrilyn
Fri May 20, 2005, 02:29 PM
Is it white cloudy water.

Sounds like you have a bacterial bloom.

chris
Fri May 20, 2005, 03:47 PM
Hi I get the same problem everytime I go into the filter I have a bacteria Bloom(white cloudy water) how come :?:
Sorry to jump in your thread.

spencer
Sun May 22, 2005, 08:14 AM
Hi
Are you using GEO Liqiud?

duck
Sun May 22, 2005, 11:58 AM
Every time i do a WC on my large tank it always goes a cloudy white bacterial bloom.
The discus seem fine, It clear's up in a couple of hours.

Merrilyn
Sun May 22, 2005, 02:28 PM
An Ultra Violet filter will clear up bacterial blooms overnight, and give you the cleanest water you have ever seen.

Dave76
Sun May 22, 2005, 02:47 PM
I agree with Merrilyn

I get the same after WC on my big tank - used to take about 8 hours to clear up - since adding a UV filter it takes about 2.

Dave

pitchblack
Mon May 23, 2005, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the advice guys Im saving up for a uv... Would it do any good to put some carbon in the filter to stop the cloudy water... And yes ladyred its white cloudy...

Merrilyn
Mon May 23, 2005, 09:37 AM
Well, I have managed to cure it with daily 75% waterchanges, but it is a big task.

Definately the UV is the way to go.

pitchblack
Tue May 24, 2005, 12:54 AM
what causes the bacterial bloom in the first instance....

Merrilyn
Tue May 24, 2005, 02:13 PM
The bacteria is always in the tank in small numbers and usually doesn't cause a problem.

It just takes an excess of nutrients in the tank for the bacteria to flourish and make the water take on a cloudy appearance.

Water changes will reduce the population, but the remaining bacteria will double their efforts to multiply.

Continuous large water changes will eventually get on top of the problem.

pitchblack
Wed May 25, 2005, 04:26 AM
thanks LR will try big water changes. Ive been doing that everytime It gets cloudy. I end up doing a 60% water change. Its quite annoying.

Darth_discus
Wed May 25, 2005, 11:59 AM
is the uv filter the uv steralizer

Merrilyn
Wed May 25, 2005, 02:39 PM
Yes darth, it's the same thing. You attach it to the outlet pipe of your cannister filter. Some of them incorporate their own filter and pump, but the unit is usually a lot larger.

pitchblack
Fri May 27, 2005, 08:39 AM
well yet again did the usual water change and its happened again. #$%$#$%$$!!!!! Its quite annoying. have done another one just now a big 75% change and its getting cloudy again. This cant be right?????

Davo
Fri May 27, 2005, 01:29 PM
ladyred,

Regarding UV's, were you one of the people who bought a Coralife Turbotwist 18W UVS?

I am thinking of buying one from Singapore and was wondering how good they are?

If you were not one of them does anyone remember who bought one?

Thanks,
Dave.