PDA

View Full Version : Where did you?

Katie
Thu May 19, 2005, 10:47 AM
Just wondering where people bought there first discus from? And you last? How do they compare and for those who have been in the game along time are your origional discus still with you? Interested to see where people started from.

Trebs
Thu May 19, 2005, 11:41 AM
I bought my original 6 turks from World or Fish in Seven Hills about 2-2.5yrs ago. They were disease free and really nice fish - they were about 6-7cms. I lost one after about 4 months because it introduced dropsy into the tank. All the rest survived to adulthood, got to a decent size and all successfully bred. I sold 1 pair and gave away another. I still have the best pair from the group. I was lucky because my girlfriend picked my first discus and she had kept discus before.

I bought my last pair of golden pidgeons as adults from Lam's in Parra.
In terms of comparision they are all disease free, good shapes and pretty big but the difference is the turks are a more common strain than the golden pidgeons.

DR.V
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:56 PM
hmm i bought mine from SLS , small size , maybe 5cm?? then it grow huge in 2 years time, never had disease, then one day i forgot to close the lid after w/c, it jumped out of the tank, and realise about two hours later. Oh well...

chris
Thu May 19, 2005, 01:20 PM
I bought my first two about 2 years ago a pair of Red Turq. they were about 6 or 7cm had no Idea what I was buying as in shape colour etc altough the were a good standard. The first one I picked out was a smallish with a clear eye the second bigger with a red eye.
Looking back I should have pick probably the best shape healthiest deep red eye.
This pair have actually pair up and spawn regular. in a month Ill be able to tell everyone if ther successfull.
Whats the odds of that first discus a pair. And not a bad shape aswell and im pretty keen on the females clear eyes.

goldenpigeon
Thu May 19, 2005, 11:21 PM
i bought mine from a private breeder a couple of years back. they were ok but i really didnt know what i was looking for. they had allot of peppering thoagh (i wonder why they were $10 ea :lol: ) nah they were good little fish and i still have 1 (they were my beginners so i lost a fair few). the last discus i have bought i think was my giant red x white female (who has babies right now!!! :D). i have only bought discus from G&S aquarium in the last 2-3 years.

Katie
Fri May 20, 2005, 01:07 AM
Chris thats a real beauty you have there! I hope my turqs grow up to look just like her. Interesting to see that many people started with turqs first.
Junior are you telling me that you started with discus when you 10? That's pretty darn cool. I don't think I could have done this at that age. Though when I was 10 I could argue about the standard of Rottweilers with breeders three times my age :) :)

goldenpigeon
Fri May 20, 2005, 01:18 AM
yes k8ie it was something like that. i have been breeding birds since i was probalby 9. discus at 10 mayb neer 11.

now i have breeding poodles...... :lol:

Katie
Fri May 20, 2005, 01:26 AM
poodles eh? Toy, mini or standard?

goldenpigeon
Fri May 20, 2005, 01:28 AM
lol i cant remember but they are the next size up from the smallest 1's...... im expecting pups in the next few weeks.... :D

Katie
Fri May 20, 2005, 01:34 AM
hey shouldn't you be at school right now? :o
btw that would be miniture poodles

goldenpigeon
Fri May 20, 2005, 01:38 AM
yer i should.............

but.........

i just got back from camp and i feel really sick..... sux heaps :(

Merrilyn
Fri May 20, 2005, 10:51 PM
Likely story Junior.

Hmmmm where did I leave that wooden spoon.

goldenpigeon
Fri May 20, 2005, 11:23 PM
ARRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Bail!!!!

Bail!!!!

Bail!!!!

NO SON FORGET THE FISH JUST BAIL!!!!!!

chris
Sat May 21, 2005, 10:58 AM
Well just an update my First Discus Turqs are a pair.
Had a look this morning and there is a heap of free swimming wriggles,
but guess what im going to Bali tomorrow.
But when I get home. Its on :twisted:
Whats the odds of that First fish are a breeding pair.
I didnt even know what a good discus looked like.
I remember my when I was buying them my mate said dont get that one get a bigger one(female One) I said it will grow.
happy I got her.

goldenpigeon
Sat May 21, 2005, 12:02 PM
good news chris! o well at least u will have sumthin to look forward to when u get back! :D

chris
Sat May 21, 2005, 12:06 PM
Yer your right Junior Im all ready thinkin about it non stop. Cant wait to get back and I havent left yet.

ctvu
Sat May 21, 2005, 12:07 PM
Hi all

My first discus were bought from SLS last year.

ctvu

marg
Wed May 25, 2005, 01:59 PM
Could someone please tell me where SLS are situated?.
I am from Wagga Wagga NSW and relatively new to Duscus - hoping to add to my tank but Wagga is hopeless as far as purchasing Discus go.

DR.V
Wed May 25, 2005, 02:17 PM
Slippery Little Suckers
632 Anzac Parade
Kingsford, NSW 2032
ph: 9315-5288
fx: 9315-5388
slipperylittlesuckers.com@gmail.com

It will be a long way for you, but u'll love the discus there

Merrilyn
Wed May 25, 2005, 02:42 PM
Hi Margot, welcome to the forum.

You can ring SLS and describe the type of discus you are looking for, and they can ship them to you, if you wish. They can probably even email you a picture of the fish in question before you buy it.

marg
Thu May 26, 2005, 04:09 AM
Thanks evryone. As I said, the Pet Shops here are hopeless regarding Discus (note I said Discus NOT Duscus - I'm not the best typist).

I have been slowly adding to my tanks for about 2 years now. Started out with a small Blue Diamond and a Blue Turquoiseand an assortment of other fish (Clown Loach, Black Knifefish, albino catfish and 1/2 dozen neon Tetras) in a 3 foot tank. I then purchased a 4 foot tank, moved them into that and added a Marlboro Red and a Brown. The Brown lasted about 6 months then mysteriously died :( . My next purchase was a Pigeon Blood, then about 2 months ago I purchased a small Red Turquoise locally and added it to the Tank.

Around that time I purchased another 4 foot tank and 3 small Discus ( I don't know what colour you would call them yet - they are a gold colour with a bit of black flecking on them) from a fellow in Sydney :? . I moved all fish except the original ones above into this tank together with the three small Discus and called this my community tank.

I am an invalid Pensioner and because of my financial situation I can only purchase my fish smaller and patiently watch them grow. My original Fish have grown really well - the Pigeon Blood and the Red Marlboro have paired up and spawned in the 4 foot tank heaps of times - even got to wriggler stage but because of the size of the tank they have lost the Fry. beacuase of that I bought a 2 foot tank and put them in that. They spawned once, ate the eggs and then went on strike for 3 weeks. Next thing the Marlboro started being really nasty to the Pigeon Blood (she eventually kept hiding in the corner away from him) so I got cranky last week and put them back in the main Discus tank, where they are copping a bit of a hard time at the moment, but I hope things will settle down soon.

The Blue Diamond and the Blue Turquoise are both Females I think. They have spawned in the 4 foot tank but the eggs are really Red - they both lovingly tend the eggs, but after two days they eat them. I need a few more Males I think.