PDA

View Full Version : water changes

dismatt
Wed May 18, 2005, 11:04 AM
im new to discus keeping so whats the best way to set myself up for water changes also whats the secret to keeping them happy, are they as hard as people think to look after. thanks :D

chris
Wed May 18, 2005, 12:30 PM
Clean Water keeps them happy, the amount of water changes depends on the amount of fish you have. Ideally Age declorinate water is best.
Changing water reduces Levels of Amonia Nitrates Nitrites.
Thus Keeping your fish happy.
I change 30% of my water Twice a week.
If I had more time I would do more.
Tank temps Between 28-30degrees
A balanced diet of Brine Beef heart and Blood worms helps as well.

dismatt
Wed May 18, 2005, 12:56 PM
cool thanks heaps, wheres the best places to buy a water barrel from if i fill it up from the tap dechlorinte it put a heater and airstone in it how long is it safe for ifi got a 200lt barrel and filled it to the top and changed 50lts every 3 days would the water be ok for the fourth water change. thanks hope you under stand what i mean :D

chris
Wed May 18, 2005, 01:16 PM
They say clorine evaporates after 24hours in sunlight or open air :?:
Using a water conditioner from your LFS can help aswell, there meant to take out harmfull metals and clorine.
I usually overdose with this stuff because adelaide waters crap sometimes it has plenty of clorine in it.
You can get big drums from Bunnings, sound like youve got it under control with your set up.

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 02:19 PM
Discus have fairly simple needs. Good food, good water and lots of water changes.

Now, good food consists of a varied diet of Beef heart, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, blood worms, vegetable matter and a good quality dry flake or granule food with a high protein content.

Juveniles need to be fed about 4 times a day for maximum growth, and adults twice a day.

Your water ageing in your drum will be fine for waterchanges every three days. Use dechlorinator when you fill the drum, preferably one that treats chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals.

When you do your waterchanges, syphon the bottom of the tank as well.

HTH