PDA

View Full Version : SLS: Few shots of spectacular discus in Penang.

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:25 AM
It's funny how Penang, Malaysia is well regarded as the Discus Capital of the world, yet if you went on your own and tried to look for discus, you would be hard pressed to find any in LFS in Penang. :lol: 99% of discus produced in Penang are for export and these discus farms are only open upon invitation by referals only.

Discus farming in Malaysia is still very much a cottage industry. The farm facility is very often within the breeder's private residence or in some little ramshack in the middle of no where, often boarded up and from the outside u probably wouldn't know within it lies a million dollars worth of discus stocks!!. If you went looking, u wouldn't find the place.... :lol:

I had the priviledge of having a number of people-in-the-know to show me around to a great many farms. Special tanks must go out to Bonzi (James) of this forum for taking the time to bring me to some of his associate farms in Penang.

*Hey, thanks for waking up early on a Sunday to take me (discus) shopping man! Oh and thank Lawrence for his Kari Kepala Ikan lunch. :lol: *

Special thanks also must go out to all my wonderful discus breeder friends like Mr Ng Swee Heng, Mr Ung Seng Lip, Dr. Chong, Mr Lee KY, Mr Lee Chee Fong, Mr Soon, Mr Teo Beng Chye, Mr Lawrence Soon... I know I left a few names out (my appologies) for their kind hospitality.

OK, as promised... some nice discus photos.

chris
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:29 AM
Some beautifull healthy looking fish there, love those reflections :shock:

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:29 AM
some more pictures

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:33 AM
some more....

goldenpigeon
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:35 AM
:shock: gotta love these discus!!! :shock:

do they ever have problems with overshocking? with so many discus what would the w/c reigeme b like? :shock:

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:40 AM
few more...

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:45 AM
Few more pictures of discus

&

Bonzi's special "Survivor.." :lol:

Farm's pet fish...

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:49 AM
more...

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:50 AM
... and then my camera ran out of battery. :cry:

goldenpigeon
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:56 AM
:shock:

DR.V
Wed May 18, 2005, 12:44 PM
did that discus got amputated ??

chris
Wed May 18, 2005, 01:08 PM
Wow Glad your battery run out I thought those pics would never end.
Is that fish missing his back half :!:

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 02:36 PM
Awesome pics Kev. Bet you had a wonderful time looking at all those gorgeous fish.

goldenpigeon
Wed May 18, 2005, 11:26 PM
that pic P1010377.JPG had to be digitally redited...... is it? :shock:

Mattzilla
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:07 AM
wow!!!!!!

awesome pics mate

kevkoi
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:42 AM
No physical amputation or digital manipulations were used in this series of photographs. :lol: That fish is just "special"..... born "special". :lol:

Seems to be thriving and growing.

goldenpigeon
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:47 AM
then why would the not cull it? as far as i know they dont have time or space for deformed fish?

chris
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:56 AM
Thats what I was thinking Junior :!:

goldenpigeon
Thu May 19, 2005, 01:05 AM
i hope they dont plan on breeding it......

kevkoi
Thu May 19, 2005, 01:43 AM
No, of course there are no breeding plans for it.

U know sometimes u feel a certain connection with an animal? Well, they actually thought the fish wouldn't make it from a young age, nonetheless they thought they'd give it a chance (for whatever reason) and see how it goes. It has obviously survived and grown... and now it's the breeder's petfish. Now how could u cull your friend? :lol:

There's no intention of selling or marketing this fish.... it's just a freaky fish that the breeder has a bond with.

goldenpigeon
Thu May 19, 2005, 01:47 AM
thats a good thing. but from what i know as soon as they spot a deformed fish the cull it straight away

kevkoi
Thu May 19, 2005, 03:02 AM
... except this one. Must be special... :lol:

the_oracle
Thu May 19, 2005, 04:49 AM
Kev,
They sure have very large collection of discus. Very informative.........

PS: Kev, you're coming to SG for Aquarama?

Sanie.

kevkoi
Fri May 20, 2005, 12:19 AM
Yes Sanie, will be at Aquarama.

DR.V
Fri May 20, 2005, 12:36 AM
dont forget to recharge your battery for aquarama kev, or bring spare one :p

the_oracle
Fri May 20, 2005, 04:50 AM
Ya, Kev, don't forget to charge your battery to the fullest. We'll cover Aquarama together.............

Sanie.