PDA

View Full Version : SLS visit to CTY Aquarium

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:58 AM
CTY (Chew Thean Yeang) Aquariums has been one of the oldest Aquarium fish stores in Penang, Malaysia. They have expanded from a tiny back yard operation currently into the BIGGEST Aquarium shop in South East Asia.

The proprietors of the bussiness is still Mr Chiew (now in his 70s now) and his 2 sons. Their new premises opened in late 2004 consist of a 5 storey state of the art, air conditioned building. The interior is very professionally and tastefully laid out, very much looking in some cases like the cosmetic floor of a shopping center! On the upper floors, tanks in all sorts of shape and sizes are on display ala IKEA style.

Their aquarium stock is among one of the most impressive I've seen in Malaysia with quite a few exotic fish.

In the middle of the premises is a large landscaped pond with koi and at least 15-20 very highly valued Asian Arowana swimming gracefully. I was very fortunate to see the prelude of a pair of "Super Red" arowana courting in that pond!! My first time witnessing such an event!

The plant display tanks ala Amano were also very impressive, but the tank that took my heart was an 8ft tank on the top floor. It consists of very easy to grow low light plants like Anubias, Crypts and java fern and with a school of 40+ adult size Puntius denisonii cruzing in there; my legs went weak at the sight of those fish and that spectacular tank!

CTY aquariums also does import/export of tropical fish as well as owning a few tropical fish farms in Malaysia. They export a lot of discus especially to Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and Japan. We at SLS are glad to be doing bussiness with CTY aquariums.

Ok, enough rambling. If anyone visits Penang, this is definately the one stop must-see place for the fish fanatic.

Below are just a few pictures of the place.... Really cannot put into perspective in photos of how huge this place is. Anyway, we had to get special permission to photograph.... No photo taking allowed on the premises!! :lol:

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:01 AM
Some interior shots of this Super fish shop...

goldenpigeon
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:06 AM
wow!!! thats sooo kool!!!! :D

Darth_discus
Sat May 28, 2005, 12:23 PM
awesome place wish i was there

Proteus
Sun May 29, 2005, 02:08 AM
Drools uncontrollably