PDA

View Full Version : How often do people do whater changes and how much

axl
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:07 AM
Hi,
just setting up a discus tank at the moment 280ltr and was wondering how often do people do water changes and how much water do they change
cheers axl

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:11 AM
Depends on how many fish you are going to have in there.

Ideally about 20% every second day.

Some people do 30% twice a week, and that would be fine if you only have a few fish.

The more clean water you can manage, the better the health and growth.

On fry and juvenile tanks I do daily water changes.

chris
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:18 AM
I used to be a Once a week, but as my fish grew required more food, water conditioned changed. So now I change 30% twice a week :!:

Ben
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:23 AM
Me %50 water change every 2 days.

Ben

ctvu
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:46 AM
30%-50% twice a week , I know I am lazy bum :)

ctvu

DR.V
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:57 AM
lazy bum ?? i dont think so, i do 30% once a week.
Too busy with study, plus it takes a while to do w/c for big tank. But for breeding tank 50% daily

DR.V
Wed May 18, 2005, 05:57 AM
On fry and juvenile tanks I do daily water changes.

Hello ladyred, what is juvenile tanks ???

Thanks

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:01 AM
Juvenile tanks are where I move the fry after about 14 weeks. More room to grow. They stay there till they are ready to be sold.

goldenpigeon
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:22 AM
i do 30% once a week on my 6x2x2 atm (hope to step up soon but bin busy). on my breeding tank (when they have fry) i do 60% w/c twice daily!

leanne31
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:28 AM
I do about 40% - 50% every 2nd day but it all depends on certain things I think every tank is different I have 9 discus, 4 bn, 2 black neons, 3 platys and 2 corys in my 4 ft tank so I think I need to do that much and I test my water and to do that much my nitrates stay at between 5 and 10 ppm if I do less wc or less amount the nitrates go up. It also depends on whether your going to get juveniles or adults I like to give my juvis as much clean water as possible so they can grow up well.

Leanne

Proteus
Wed May 18, 2005, 07:09 AM
On my 150G (570L) Planted Discus tank I change anything from 300 - 600L per week.

If I have a bare bottom tank running (of any size, 2ft, 3ft, 4ft, 5ft or 6ft) I change on average 10-20% per day.

DR.V
Wed May 18, 2005, 07:32 AM
thx ladyred

the_oracle
Wed May 18, 2005, 10:36 AM
I do daily 90% WC......................And I get fishges with this shape.....

kevkoi
Wed May 18, 2005, 11:09 AM
Sanie, yes, u do 90% WC, but I suspect like many of the breeders in Penang, u also don't run a filter. :?:

I feel it must be cautioned that what works for certain people may not work for others....

I seriously would not recommend the regime that the discus breeders in Penang employ, ie 2-3x 90% water changes.

For starters, South East Asian breeders have 20 000L plus barrels out in the sun to age and heat the water. Many also employ a large carbon canister filter from the water mains to these aging barrels. Temperature in South East Asia is a constant, balmy 27-35degrees C all year round. Heaters are almost unheard of. Water comes out of the tap warm.

Water in Penang and I suspect Singapore as well, is extremely soft and on the neutral to acidic side of pH right out of the tap (Penang water is such because of the large industry producing silicon chips on the island. The industry requires that the water be such for their use.).....

We don't have such water, so I seriously would not recommend their water change regime in Australia.

Darth_discus
Wed May 18, 2005, 11:37 AM
i do water changes every second day about 30-40% and with only one discus but getting to more in month or two so i will up it up a bit more

the_oracle
Wed May 18, 2005, 12:55 PM
Kev,
I use corner filters with wools as filter medium. I definitely agree with you that this worked for me but it might not work for others. And to add, better don't try this in AU. I normally do straight from the tap WC. No anti-chlorine added. It might sound weird but it works for me. I add table salt into the tank after every WC. And no heaters at all. I lost track when the last time I used heater. :lol: All I can say is, I'm lucky that my discus adapt well in SG water............

Sanie.

sleepers
Wed May 18, 2005, 02:48 PM
Hey, these kinds of water changes are admirable, but do you think that's even smart for me in DC, where I'd have to treat the water somewhat heavily each time before putting it in?

Since I won't be breeding, it's just a healthy-fish issue, right? Couldn't changing 30% 2-3x a week be fine since messing with the water levels (I don't have and can't afford big drums to store water) could be bad for the fish?

the_oracle
Wed May 18, 2005, 03:05 PM
I don't think it's advisable to do what I do. Water quality varies from countries to countries. It's best to treat your water first..........

Sanie.

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 04:27 PM
Sleepers, so long as your tank is not overstocked, a waterchange of 30% twice
a week will be more than adequate.

You could even cut it down to 20% twice a week if it made life easier for you.

sleepers
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:33 PM
Also, doe sthe Discus Buffer product also keep the water soft enough if DC water is moderate hardness (which I'm told it is), or do I need another product.

Sorry to be so gabby, I just want my discus to have the best experience...

Proteus
Wed May 18, 2005, 10:38 PM
Sleepers, I would say Peat is a better option (more stable)

lesxda
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:19 AM
With water changes I do them every day 20% and always clean the bottom of the tank.

I have a reef filter on both of my tanks

I have a 3ftX2X2 where the water is heated, filtered with 2 powerheads and air this is always fill and working untill next water change the ph is tested and right temp. I have started to use gio liquid in the water as well.

my discus and eating well and growning.
les

Merrilyn
Thu May 19, 2005, 12:43 AM
Sounds like a fantastic set up Les.