PDA

View Full Version : discus feeding

dismatt
Tue May 17, 2005, 10:16 AM
brought two discus on the weekend about 4" one of thems not eating and stays in the corner of the tank the other eats but also stays at the bottom of the tank also now one of the exsisting fish has stopped eating aswell is this normal , not sure if my setups right its a 3x2x2 tank with sand and a few rocks also a couple of plants it has an internal power filter and a external cannister filter both eheim have i done somthing wrong.ph 7.0 nitrates 0 nitrite 0 is this normal. :D

kkiu
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:00 PM
Hi,

Give them some more time to settle in.
But that is a very generalised statement, so lets ask some more questions.

Did they look healthy, and were they eating at the shop/place of purchase? Hope the place you got them from has good rep with supplying disease free discus since you did not quarantine.

What are you feeding them? Maybe try the food they were fed at the supplier.

From what you have said, you havent done anything wrong... except for not quarantining the fish before introducting them to the tank with the existing fish. But I've done so before and have gotten away with it :)

A lot of the time, its not what you did is wrong. Its what you dont do.

But just give it some time. They might be on the mend right now.
Keep us updated on their status.

Merrilyn
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:13 PM
Dismatt how long have you had the tank running.

Was it fully cycled before you added the extra discus. You should have some kind of a nitrate reading on a fully cycled tank.

Can you take another set of readings today, and post the results here.

I notice you didn't post an ammonia reading. Can you test for that too.

dismatt
Wed May 18, 2005, 08:48 AM
ok just got home from work one lrg discus is laying on its side at the bottom the other lrg one is upright but it looks like its got a cob web stuck to it a white slimey thing the ammonia is 0ppm and the nitrites no2-n<0.1mg/i the temp is 27.6 what should i do im new to this the tank has been setup for about 3 months thanks guys for your help. :D

mistakes r crucial
Wed May 18, 2005, 09:22 AM
Hi Dismatt

I would put an airstone in the tank, treat with Prime if I had some, check the Ph, get some water ready at the same Ph (as long as the reading is OK) and temp and then wait for either Merrilyn, Rod or a few other of the real experienced guys and girls to show up.
MAC

wyldchyld01
Thu May 19, 2005, 01:03 PM
hey,

personally i'd up the temp to 29-30 degrees c, do a water change to maybe help it get there a bit quicker and reduce the posssibility of the water having something to do with it, add a little salt after the w/c to help with recovery. make sure calcium hardness levels are ok so ph doesn't swing just as long as it's constant...hope everything comes out ok for you

Brenton

mistakes r crucial
Thu May 19, 2005, 09:06 PM
Dismatt,

How are those fish going?
MAC

dismatt
Thu May 19, 2005, 11:40 PM
fish are the same seem to be getting worse thanks for your help

goldenpigeon
Thu May 19, 2005, 11:58 PM
dismatt feed your fish very sparingly while they are sick! uneated food will make the ammonia go up!

vishy
Fri May 20, 2005, 02:48 PM
Hey,
You didn't get them from city farmers of all places in Perth did you? Not bagging city farmers or anything its just imo we have bad discus or as far as i have seen.
Matt