PDA

View Full Version : Hi - I'm new from NTH QLD

Squid
Mon May 16, 2005, 12:09 PM
Hi guys - I've just found this site. Good to see something like this on the web. About me, well - I currently live in Townsville but my real home is my big house on the range at Toowoomba (150km inland from Brissy). Here I have my big fish shed were I'll go back to in a few years and breed discus commercially. I've been keeping/breeding them for 20 yrs plus and have never gotten tired of the little buggers.

My wife is a fish and bird vet (a real rariety as it seems). Actually - through her I can put anyone onto a fish vet/someone who'll look at fish in your local area - or she can give free advice for once!! I'm into all discus strains, but lately I've been getting into wild caught stuff. I spend about $500-$1000 per month on new specimens and have a very good collection. Heaps of photos. Fry on the way! (wild alenqer blues). Also right into Bettas - got 6 species now and getting more next week. Hope to talk to a lot of you people and maybe visit on my southern trips (or your northern trips)

Merrilyn
Mon May 16, 2005, 01:11 PM
A very warm welcome to the forum Squid.

We would love to see some photos of your fish, expecially your Alenquer blues.

Hope you enjoy your time with us.

jim from sydney
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:03 PM
Hi Squid......from a wet Sydney (only this morning, and about time) to a warm Queensland........ welcome to the best discus forum known to man kind.....you are in good hands Pal........Jim

leanne31
Tue May 17, 2005, 01:17 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum love to see some pics of your fish and great to have a fish vet online welcome]

Leanne

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 01:56 AM
Hi Squid

How wonderful to have you and your wife here. And I have not forgotten yet WELCOME DF.

ctvu

Squid
Wed May 18, 2005, 03:40 AM
Yeah - its great to have an exotic animal vet wife I can tell you. Just got a heap of praziquantal and metro to aid in the quarantine process for some new wild blues and greens. My wife wouldn't exactly call herself a discus nutter like me however and she's always winging about me spending to much money on them. Actually, she has a degree in aquaculture (tasmania), a honours degree in fish disease and a vet science degree. She'll always tell you however that the disease experts are not the vets in this country - its just that you dont get real recognition in animal disease unless you have the coverted vet degree - actually, she may have come out 'dumber' for doing it (vet) but she certainly knows her drugs and gets them to me at rock bottom prices!! Anyway - I dont use drugs except in the new fish quarantine. A healthy environment means healthy discus.

africandiscus
Wed May 18, 2005, 03:45 AM
Welcome

goldenpigeon
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:19 AM
hi and welcome to DF.com!!! :D good to know we have acess to a fish vet online!!!:D