PDA

View Full Version : good discus book

Woll
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:32 AM
can anyone recomemend a good discus book to buy, preferably one which has a sort of catalogue of varieties and also info on how to keep them? basically a good alround book

Katie
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:46 AM
I read a few. The two I liked the most were both by Jim Quarles. Discus as a hobby and Success with discus. They have lots of nice pictures in them too. HTH.

Merrilyn
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:47 AM
I have collected a fairly large library of discus books over the years, but I think the one I like the best is:-

Back to Nature Guide to Discus by D i c k Au.

He has been breeding discus successfully since the 1950s, and gives simple, straight forward advice.

The photographs show a good range of colours, but remember, thee are new strains being developed every year, so no book will remain up to date for long.

Katie
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:55 AM
Merrilyn- I have been looking for that book, can do you know where I can come across one now a days?

Merrilyn
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:57 AM
Got mine just recently from my local FS. They ordered it in for me.

Katie
Mon May 16, 2005, 12:00 PM
Have you read Jack Wattley's book at all? If so how did you find it eg. reccomend or not

Ben
Mon May 16, 2005, 12:12 PM
Penang discus is my favourite book, but Discus health is a great book to!

Ben

Merrilyn
Mon May 16, 2005, 12:39 PM
I have several of the Wattley books. The latest one is "Discus for the perfectionist".

An interesting read, but not comprehensive enough as an all round discus book.

leanne31
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:48 PM
Hi guys the book that Merrilyn was talking about the back to nature guide by Dick Au I bought mine through age of aquariums for $45 excellent book great illustrations I highly recommend it just great for newbies and experienced as well.

Leanne

Woll
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:52 AM
thanks for all that guys, will look at getting Back to Nature Guide to Discus by D i c k Au.