PDA

View Full Version : What silicone to use

leanne31
Sat May 14, 2005, 01:54 PM
Hey guys I have a corner tank with a cabinet and hood that believe it or not my sons used for hermit crabs well I got rid of them as they didnt look after them anymore so I have a spare tank. I'm not sure of the size of it but I think it would probably hold the same amount of water as a 3 ft. The only problem that I can see with it is some of the silicone looks a bit dodgy (flakey) but I did fill it with a hose and it didnt leak but I thought I might replace some of the old flakey silicone with some new stuff. My question is do you have to use certain silicone or can any do is some silicone toxic or is it all pretty ok for fish tanks. Thanks guys

Leanne

Bruno
Sat May 14, 2005, 02:04 PM
Any silicone that says on the package that it can be fully submerged for a long periode of time and that is fish safe (it will be on the package... some products can be too and it wont be written, in that case you have to call the company and ask... but if you dont have any silicone yet, just get some that's written fish safe on it...)

just go to the hardware store, you wont pay as much, and should find a fish safe one! The LFS overcharge on the stuff..

watch out, they are not all made to go on glass, so check that out too, ask a rep!

-Bruno

leanne31
Sun May 15, 2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks for that Bruno. :lol:

Leanne

Bruno
Sun May 15, 2005, 01:18 PM
Your welcome!

chrissyoscar
Sun May 15, 2005, 11:24 PM
Hi Leanne

As Bruno said the silicon will have on it that it's safe for aquarium use. A while back I was at Bunnings and asked for aquarium safe silicon just to see if they had any incase I ever needed it and they did. From memory it was about $8-10 and I'm possitive it had -safe to use on aquariums- on it.

Oscar

leanne31
Tue May 17, 2005, 12:05 AM
Thanks Oscar my local glass shop also makes aquariums and he said that he'll completely reseal it for me so thats a bit of a bonus but I might still get some silicone just to have handy around the home in case of emergencies thanks all for your help. :lol:

Leanne

premier
Tue May 17, 2005, 03:57 AM
hi there, i'm here in sheidow park and build my own tanks, ensure your silicone is "acetic cure". it gives off an odour while curing so keep things well ventilated. silastic 732 is suitable, available at bunnings is "selleys glass" for windows and aquariums- look for the dark blue 310 g cartridge, is acetic cure and pricing is fair , i think $ 7.50 a tube. good to wipe glass with metho or acetone first as the grease from your skin may interfere with the bond.
hth

leanne31
Tue May 17, 2005, 04:31 AM
Hi thanks for that info really handy glad to see we have another south aussie here and so close to I only live 5 mins down the road at morphett Vale make your own tanks do you I think I'll have to keep that in mind :lol:

Leanne

premier
Tue May 17, 2005, 05:29 AM
just down the road leanne, good stuff, ever need new lids to relace chipped or crappy ones let me know i'll take care of it.

leanne31
Tue May 17, 2005, 05:35 AM
excellent thanks a lot my sisters on this forum as well shes just started breeding discus shes from woodcroft and theres Chris also hes from Trott park so we're getting a few of us now in a 5 - 10 min drive which is good.

Leanne

Darth_discus
Tue May 17, 2005, 09:52 AM
is it true that south oz water is a lot harder and if so what do u to lower the hardness

leanne31
Wed May 18, 2005, 02:05 AM
Mine sits on about 120 ppm or 6 drops which ever one you go by and the kh is about 4 or 40 ppm so its not to bad its good for everyday discus keeping but if i want to breed I'll have to use a ro unit to soften the water.

Leanne