PDA

View Full Version : Hello out there in discus land

Concode
Sat May 14, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi, this is a really great site, thought it is about time I said hello rather than just reading everything that is around. Still learning and trying to get my water right but I think I am getting there. I have a 6X2X2 tank and now have a few discus.

My water out of the tap is a little strange, some one told me it is probably due to a large amount of chlorine, it is very soft 3 gh and lower on the kh. Out of the tap the ph is about 7.2 I started with some peat and found that after a few days my ph dropped to 6, have since taken my peat out and the ph has gone to 6.5 and is staying their. The discus are happy, but have noticed my general hardness has gone up to about 7, I have put some kh powder in yesterday and my kh has gone up slightly to about 3. Any suggestions on what I should do. Thanks

Merrilyn
Sat May 14, 2005, 01:22 PM
Hi Concode and welcome to the forum.

Your water out of the tap is just fine. No need to do anything to it, unless you want to start up a breeding tank, then you might want to run peat in there to lower your pH.

As far as the KH powder, it's really better not to mess with any of that stuff. Every reading you alter, will have an effect on other readings. You will be doing so many waterchanges, that in the end, it will be difficult to calculate just how much powder to add.

Simplest way to to keep your pH stable, is to toss in a handful or two of shellgrit, and replace it once a month.

goldenpigeon
Sat May 14, 2005, 11:05 PM
welcome to DF.com Concode! :D

Concode
Sat May 14, 2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info Merrilyn and hello to the Junior

goldenpigeon
Sun May 15, 2005, 12:30 AM
hi concode. my name is david but i am called junior on here. i was crissened (spelling) with this name by a guy called Ben (heez a member) and now lotsa ppl call me junior! :D

leanne31
Sun May 15, 2005, 08:20 AM
Hi concode glad to see you've joined our big fishy family we're always here to help. we call him junior as thats what he is I think he may be just about the youngest member here that I know of anyway. :lol:

Leanne

Concode
Sun May 15, 2005, 11:01 AM
Hi Leanne,

How old is The Junior.

This is all new to me (Shan) and my partner (Garry), but loving every moment. Our two boys love waking up in the mornings to their new fish.

Also a thank you for every one who replyed to our post.

Thanks Shan & Garry.

goldenpigeon
Wed May 18, 2005, 11:03 PM
u bunch of nozzy people :D lol

ok i turned 14 last march. i joined when i was 13.

and if u wanted to know im the best source of info here!

:shock: im gonna get my bum spanked by merrilyns wooden spoon 4 that 1 :shock:

Merrilyn
Wed May 18, 2005, 11:07 PM
Check the time Junior. I'm right behind you. :twisted:

goldenpigeon
Wed May 18, 2005, 11:15 PM
arrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! it hurts sooooo bad!!!! :crying: i cant sit on my computer chair and more :( my bum is the size of a bowling ball.........

but im still laughing :lol:

goldenpigeon
Fri May 20, 2005, 01:22 AM
u really ment that 1 didnt u merrilyn..... :lol:

ctvu
Fri May 20, 2005, 05:34 AM
Welcome here Shan & Garry.

ctvu

ps: we all love Junior

goldenpigeon
Fri May 20, 2005, 07:31 AM
aw thanx ctvu! :D