PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh...finally a 6 foot tank

jim from sydney
Sat May 14, 2005, 11:13 AM
finally i got my 6 ft tank up and running. being short of cash a kind local friend helped out with some juveniles (that was 6 months ago) and last week with some pigeons and blue turqs. all proven breeding pairs. So I am watching them like mad, even have dinner with them. Now am looking at the hard plumbing and thanks for Bunnings, i spend hours there.
I suppose i will be sleeping with them next....Jim.

goldenpigeon
Sat May 14, 2005, 12:06 PM
looks great !!!! :D good job!!!!!

WrxAnt
Sat May 14, 2005, 01:57 PM
Looks nice Jim.

Nice fish too :D

I just got a 6x2x2 myself. I've been running Bare Bottoms for over 2 years so I'm going a planted tank this time ..... fingers crossed!!!

Cheers
Ant

kkiu
Sat May 14, 2005, 02:05 PM
Sleeping with the fishes isn't a good thing.

Be careful of mafioso types.

Merrilyn
Sat May 14, 2005, 02:27 PM
Sleeping with your fish is a sign of true addiction :lol:

Nice looking set up Jim. Now put a backdrop on there to hide all the cords, couple of plants on driftwood, and it will be a palace.

They'll be so happy, they'll just have to start spawning.

jim from sydney
Sun May 15, 2005, 05:38 AM
thanks for the compliments guys.
ladyred.....am a bit worried about backdrops the ones in shops are all with plants etc. and look so artificial, have you tried colour paper say light blue??? :?: what do you recommend to enhance the scene???? :idea:
JIm

Sutto
Sun May 15, 2005, 06:17 AM
I suggest Black Contact ;) Seems to be the Perfect Backdrop and is Also Fairly Cheap.

Nice Tank Jim, I was wondering what you are using for lights though?

TIA,
-Sutto

chris
Sun May 15, 2005, 11:03 AM
Your a lucky man Jim 6 footer hey.
I bought a 5 footer, thinking about it now I could have bought a 6 footer, my girlfriend wouldnt have know the difference.
tank looks good too plenty of pentential there. :wink:

jim from sydney
Sun May 15, 2005, 11:45 AM
Sutto...........they are 2 inverted plastic flowerpots made up with each 1 long life energy saver cool white lamp 11Watts=60Watts Incandescent. :idea: Cheap to run and gives a very good light distribution. Made them up. I have it switched on auto at 4pm-10pm. During the day the tank has tons of natural light. Am very pleased with the results....Jim

DR.V
Sun May 15, 2005, 12:07 PM
is that a DIY light ??

jim from sydney
Mon May 16, 2005, 02:09 AM
it sure is...DIY is a lot of fun and gives great satisfaction....if it works... if it doesnt work try again....Jim

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:03 AM
Hi Jim

Aren't u lucky? having a 6 footer tank is only my dream :).
how do u get the pvc tube stuck to the bottom? glue it? Thanks

ctvu

dreamer
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:26 AM
you can glue the pvc to a cd ...and fill the pvc with gravel to weight it down :) works for me

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:49 AM
you can glue the pvc to a cd ...and fill the pvc with gravel to weight it down :) works for me

that is very good idea. Thanks

ctvu

jim from sydney
Tue May 17, 2005, 02:53 AM
CTVU.............i glued a thick bit op plastic with PVC glue to the tube.....filled the tube with gravel.....glued on the cap and bingo enough weight(oops,mass) to make it stand up in the tank......i prefer the tube over cones, as you can see the eggs better......Jim

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 03:52 AM
Hi Jim

it is very nice to share aroud your ideas. Thanks for that Jim

ctvu

jim from sydney
Tue May 17, 2005, 04:44 AM
CTVU......thanks Pal....what else are friends for.........why not come over for a day and have a look, i like to share my ideas with other people, in fact we should start a data base of people living close to each other so we can have a look at each other's set-up and discuss common problems and may be do some exchanges with discus as well.
What do you think is that worth a try??? :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
It may stop a lot of confusion :oops:
Cheers......Jim

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 05:20 AM
Hi Jim

That would be fantastic and I would love to come over too, unluckily we are down here Melbourne. Apparently in Sydney there is a Discus Association why don’t you join them? I would join them. That could be more helpful I guess

ctvu

jim from sydney
Tue May 17, 2005, 08:02 AM
CTVU...............i have joined them and have been to the last meeting....pretty good value.....but they all have had their systems for a longggggggggggggg time and i feel a like a "baby in the woods"....Jim

ctvu
Tue May 17, 2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Jim

I would too! but at the end of the day we'd learn the good things from them - the experts - . Aren't you lucky? Jim

ctvu

jim from sydney
Wed May 18, 2005, 02:06 AM
CTVU.......is there not something similar in Melbourne, in know ADA is based here but surely you must have "something" in Melb. where you can go other than the LFS. what about asking the forum....check maybe with Ladyred ?????
at the last meeting we had a good discussion on feedig habits. I realise now that discus are slow feeders and the forum said to let them eat as much as can can for 1 hour and then remove the remainders, which i now do and the fish seem to like that better. So you are right I am lucky with those experts around. Info from them will eventually help all of us.....Jim