PDA

View Full Version : those with mulitple tanks

wyldchyld01
Thu May 12, 2005, 11:30 AM
Hey all,

had a question pop into my mind and it was so painful i just had to ask, from those with multiple tanks do you make sure the pairs (any discus) can't see into the tank next to them or do you just let them see all the fish in the other tanks and not cover the sides/back of the tank

cheers, i'm just interested in what breeders do in respect to this

Brenton

Ben
Thu May 12, 2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Brenton,
Great question mate!
I have 5 young breeding pairs and 14 tanks.
Only one tank was painted on 3 sides and this pair are the quietest of them lot, never get spooked.....

With some of the other pairs i have had a very low fertile rate, and i believe it could be because the male is getting distracted.
So.....Funny you asked this question.....

I finished painting all the tanks on monday so i will see what happens over the next month or so.

(big job! i could only do 2 tanks at a time and moved fish into other tanks?)

I painted 1/2 with a nice dark blue paint (thanks Oscar!) And the rest i bought some acrylic blue paint, saxony is the colour. Giving 3 coats of paint on the bottom and 3 sides.

HTH

Ben

ctvu
Thu May 12, 2005, 11:55 AM
Hi Ben

I can imagine that would be a huge job - painting the tank. Well done!!!

ctvu

Ben
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:15 PM
Cheers CTVU,
It took a while as you could imagine but well worth the trouble! I would never have really done it but Oscar from this forum gave me a head start!

Also i painted the bottom of the tanks and when looking there is no longer a reflection so thats an added bonus!
I can keep the bottoms really clean now!

Ben

Merrilyn
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:20 PM
Did you paint them blue too Ben. I have mine painted black.

Ben
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:26 PM
I painted them all blue Merrilyn, except for 2 tanks where i painted the bottom a creamy colour.
I find the blue a bit better as it high lights any small particles of debris.

At first i thought the discus might freak out with 3 sides painted and the bottom painted but they settled in really well within a day.

Oh, and the wife is a bit upset as i got paint every where! i even managed to get some on the fridge door!?

Ben

Merrilyn
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:29 PM
Gee Ben. I don't know how she could be upset about a little bit of paint on her fridge. After all, it was for a good cause.

sunshinediscus
Thu May 12, 2005, 09:10 PM
Every pair is different in the way they behave so i have painted backs and clear sides. If i decide a pair needs privacy then i put a screen between the tanks.

Rod

Bill T.
Thu May 12, 2005, 10:45 PM
Well, I'm very much a small time operator with only one tank and two (remaining) discus. I swear these two have their favourite T.V. shows, because at certain times they hang around at one end of the tank & I swear they are staring at the T.V. Turn it off & they go travelling!

lesxda
Fri May 13, 2005, 06:51 PM
I have put plastic back ground around my tanks in the three sides, a bit more colourful

les