PDA

View Full Version : transport

axelfaz
Tue May 10, 2005, 10:08 PM
well ive just arranged to buy the last 7 pb of moses :D the problem is I need to transport the discus back to canberra about a 3 hour drive. I was thinking on using 2 large buckets with a battery operated airpump feed air via airstone into the buckets would this do? any suggestion would be welcomed :)

thanks all
cameron

Mattzilla
Wed May 11, 2005, 12:26 AM
that would be fine.

just get a heater into the buckets asap when you get home

axelfaz
Wed May 11, 2005, 12:31 AM
thanks mate just stressed dont want anything to go wrong Iam hoping they look like yours. :D

leanne31
Wed May 11, 2005, 12:35 AM
I would try and wrap the bucket with something to keep some heat in as a 3 hour drive in what you would call not the warmest place in australia is a bit of a worry. I transported one in a bucket 10 mins down the road and the temp dropped a couple of degrees.Maybe keep the heater in your car going all the way.

Leanne

kkiu
Wed May 11, 2005, 12:54 AM
maybe some blankets or a foam box to keep them warm and kept in the dark.

Ben
Wed May 11, 2005, 01:02 AM
Personally i am not keen on just fish in plastic buckets, can make a mess of the car, fish can hurth them selves.

I would go to you LFS and buy some large aquarium bags, when you bag the fish double bag them and one double bag per fish, dont put 2. Also dont add heaps of water, just enough to cover them, but make sure there is heaps of air in the top part of the bag.
Get a poysteriene box.wrap with a blacket and put the lid on.
The discus will be safe and warm.

HTH
Ben

axelfaz
Wed May 11, 2005, 02:17 AM
thanks everyone for the great advice will keep you updated on what happens.Ben will there be enough air for 3 hour with out adding oxygen like must people do when transporting?

cameron

leanne31
Wed May 11, 2005, 02:41 AM
Yep I reckon there will be enough air just get really big bags, put min amount of water and heaps of air if your gonna get the box that ben said as well a heat pack might work good too.But def one fish per bag.

Leanne

axelfaz
Wed May 11, 2005, 02:49 AM
thanks Leanne iam really starting stress now :!: but getting heaps of good advice :D

leanne31
Wed May 11, 2005, 02:56 AM
No need to stress you'll be right warmth and air and they'll be fine they're pretty hardy fish you know let us know how you get on.

Leanne

Ben
Wed May 11, 2005, 04:28 AM
Dont be too concerned if the water temp drops down a bit, it will be better as less oxygen will be used.

Ben

axelfaz
Thu May 12, 2005, 04:25 AM
well iam just about to start the road trip have gone with bens idea will let you all know how things turn out. thanks for all the help.Heart doing about 4000bpm at the moment.

cameron

Merrilyn
Thu May 12, 2005, 06:18 AM
We're all thinking of you Cameron.

Let's know how you got on, once you have them settled in.

axelfaz
Thu May 12, 2005, 11:20 PM
well i got home at 2200 last night after 6 stressful hours on the road. All fish survived :D :D and are settling in well will try and take some photos today. i ended up with 8 pb for $150 thanks moses :D

P.s thanks ben for the great idea not a thing went wrong

cameron

leanne31
Thu May 12, 2005, 11:30 PM
Glad to hear everything turned out ok for you see all that stressing was for nothing and everyones happy. :lol:

Leanne

Merrilyn
Fri May 13, 2005, 12:29 PM
You did a great job Cameron. Glad to hear they settled in well.

goldenpigeon
Fri May 13, 2005, 12:40 PM
yer well done!

i drove from coffs harbour to the gold coast last year with a oscar. it was about a 4 hour drive. all i did for heat was have it on my lap............. :shock:

Blue
Fri May 13, 2005, 07:01 PM
An oscar would have been fine if you stuck it on a hook and dragged it all the way there lol.
They are harder to kill then to keep alive.

Glad you made it.

Barry