PDA

View Full Version : My Discus Tank....

Stuquarium
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:01 AM
Hi guys

as you are well aware i'm setting up a 55g discus tank. and ive started to think about tankmates. still waiting for the tank to cycle so it's only gor 3 silver dollars in thier at the moment with dritwood no plants and some red rock.

i have my eye on a pair of small blue diamond discus for the tank to start with. then maybe a pair of the Red fire ones (forgotten the name)

what would be good tank mates for these discus?

as they are small can i add a school of neon tetras ? with confidence that discus wont eat them?

what other smaller fish could i add here? that would be good company for the discus?

goldenpigeon
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:32 AM
have you decided whether you will keep the silver dollars with the discus? if so they will eat twetras ect. neons dont go in discus tanks as they cannot stand the heat. the better version of neons the cardinal tetra is much more striking and love the high temps. other good tetras are lemon tetras, rummy-nose tetras, diamond tetras, scissor-tail tetras, hockey stick (or otherwise known as penguine tetras), and many more. also other good tank mates are bristle-nose catfish, plecos, gibbiceps, elephant noses, black ghost knives (but will eat your tetras when the get to about 11cm), apisto's, dwarf cichlids, hatchet fish, rams, farowella ect

Stuquarium
Mon May 09, 2005, 07:38 AM
thats quite a list.

thats cool. the SDs will be moved. the are far to agessive when it comes to dinner and are to easily spooked

i like the ghost knife. they are an unusal fish.

thanks

Merrilyn
Mon May 09, 2005, 08:46 AM
Good answer David. You're gonna put me out of a job LOL.