PDA

View Full Version : rare discus

Darth_discus
Sun May 08, 2005, 05:04 AM
what is the rareist discus and send a pic

Merrilyn
Sun May 08, 2005, 11:37 AM
Hmmmm interesting question. The wild caught discus are the most difficult to obtain in Australia, but I guess you could say the latest colour strain will be the rarest and most expensive, simply due to their limited numbers.

jwight
Sun May 08, 2005, 11:55 AM
Ive heard of a breeding pair of pure golds with babies sell for $15,000 so that would have to be rare.

weird
Sun May 08, 2005, 01:10 PM
:roll:

dreamer
Mon May 09, 2005, 03:11 AM
make sure the offspring are 24k as 18k is worthless...

ozarowana
Mon May 09, 2005, 04:25 AM
Some older strains are pretty rare aswell. Been trying to find some nice solid dark blue cobalts for a while.

Katie
Mon May 09, 2005, 08:07 AM
yeah, try searching for some Alenquers?! When you find some and ask for them to put them aside they bloody sell them!!!!!!!!!

ozarowana
Tue May 10, 2005, 01:49 AM
Rod can get Alenquers, get him to get some in for you.

kevkoi
Tue May 10, 2005, 02:18 AM
Errm, red Alenquers are not hard to get. They're relatively common and available. Trouble is that the market for them is somewhat limited and sporadic.

I brought in 20 red alenquer juveniles sometime mid last year. They sat in the shop for over 5-6months and all the fancy variants sold. One of the guys who worked part time for SLS ended up taking 10 of them for his planted tank almost at cost....

Last month, I imported 6 Red alenquer juveniles and they were sold a week after release from quarantine. *shrugs*

Another 10 red Alenquers are coming next week.

That said, the wild red Alenquer adults (5"-6") have been sitting at SLS for well over 7months now and spawning regularly in the tanks. Yet no takers.

They're not un-common. Just slow movers.

I don't really think any of the "bred strains" of discus are 'rare'. There is a consistent supply and sometimes breeders hoard the fish to up the market value.

I used to think the golden leopard snakeskins were "rare" because they were expensive. Last week, I saw a farm that had well over 1000pc of quality GLSS, but the breeder would rather hoard the fish rather than to sell them cheap.

I also used to think albinos were "rare".... until again I see in Penang, tanks full of them in all sorts of variants, from the standard albino "alenquers", albino turq, albino checkerboard, albino snakeskins, albino leopards and albino leopard snakeskins.

I don't think any discus is "rare". They are obtainable.... it's just the price, and the price importers/buyers are willing to pay.

Merrilyn
Tue May 10, 2005, 04:01 AM
Kev, you've had WILD Alenquers and you didn't tell me.

Geesh, you know I love my red fish.

Katie
Tue May 10, 2005, 05:14 AM
Yes Kevkoi, I know you did have them. I rang up about them, only to have them sold a few minutes later. Oh well. ;)
Thanks Merrilyn, I have talked to Rod about them.
I hate being so far away from everything.

Katie
Tue May 10, 2005, 05:22 AM
I should amend my first post to read:
Around where I live any strain of discus is rare. Ok well not rare rare, but not seen often.There are 2 lfs here, and the one where I bought mine from only has them occasionally.
Does that make sense?

kevkoi
Tue May 10, 2005, 06:03 AM
Merrilyn, we've had that red alenquers and rio-madeira in the shop since our German shipment. That's about the time u got your altums. :wink:

The red alenquers aren't like in-your-face-red. More like a reddish brown on brown base. If you want 'em, give SLS a call.... I'll see if we can do a special sale price to clear out these large fish. We need to clear some space for this lot of monster giant discus I'm shipping back.

I've gone bananas, buying up 7-8inch plus giant discus. :lol:

Blue
Wed May 11, 2005, 11:30 PM
I was looking at a farms list in penang and their golden rabbit eyes were US$300 each at 5cm/ 2" SL.

Barry

kevkoi
Thu May 12, 2005, 01:05 AM
Barry, u need to change farms... :lol:

Blue
Thu May 12, 2005, 10:42 PM
Its ok Kevkoi, I personally think they are ugly and the fact that said farm wants a 150 piece minimum order means that they will NEVER get any Business from me. Even a bread and butter 2 inch order ran cost a grand and thats just to find out if quality is any good, I don't think so.
Any suggestions on exporters are welcomed.
Do you know of a breeder called Samwa as I have consoled a few of his fish through a wholesaler friend that uses them?

Barry.

dreamer
Thu May 12, 2005, 11:07 PM
went to an aquarium store last week, most of the wild discus if not all ..are close to fish heaven !!! fin rot, cloudy eyes, clamped fins, sunken stomach, etc.

they arent great either 4-5mths ago, for fish priced at $250-350 i will expect quality....

Blue
Thu May 12, 2005, 11:20 PM
I deal with Rhuinemanns bv. in Holland. I have always been happy with the quality of fish they supply, All settle immediately and more often then not they will hand feed 2 hours after arriving.
I know for fact that they have quarentined them adequately and I quarentine them for 4 weeks as well.
I sell most XL wilds at £50. Fish down under seem to be ridiculously priced.
Barry

kevkoi
Fri May 13, 2005, 02:53 AM
Barry, I think the name u are after is Sanwa. They're not a breeder. They are an export wholesale facility.

I'd have to agree with you that ornamental fish (in general) in Australia is more expensive compared to anywhere else in the world I've seen! The reason for that being all the hoops importers have to jump thru to bring a few fish into the country. Quarantine regulations forbid fish from coming direct from most of South America/Africa. Exporters Overseas require special lisencing to be able to ship to Australia. Australian importers are required to build special quarantine premises and hold imported fish for a period of time (2weeks in the case of discus) and the mountain of red tape to cut thru to bring in fish.

Add that to a very limited number of species importable into Aust..... sigh.

PS: Barry, u have PM.

Squid
Mon May 16, 2005, 11:40 AM
Been importing from Manaus and got some really good Coari Greens. Asked a wholesaler in Melbourne and he said when he can get them, $300-500 ea. Total cost to me was $125 per fish!!
Blue - only the Southern states seem to be paying pay big dollars. Up here in Townsville at Rossvale Aquarium you can buy 1st gen bred royal blue fry from wild parents (20c piece/3-4 cm) for $10 ea right now. Breeding pair of good quality Blue turks with fry - $200 I could go on and on. As an avid discus keeper for 20 years, I dont want to go back to my farm in Toowoomba next year. I'll be taking a lot back when I go!!