PDA

View Full Version : Sump for sale in Melbourne

chrissyoscar
Fri May 06, 2005, 07:00 AM
I'm not selling this I just saw it for sale on ebay. I thought I'ld place a post here so one of our members can advantage as it's starting bid is very low.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4378660571&rd=1

leanne31
Fri May 06, 2005, 09:17 AM
This may sound stupid but what are they used for and what are the advantages the sellers from frankston victoria its not you is it Merrilyn.

Leanne

Merrilyn
Fri May 06, 2005, 09:38 AM
LOL not me Leanne. I use cannisters on all my tanks.

leanne31
Fri May 06, 2005, 01:22 PM
I must live in the dark ages as Ive never seen or heard of these things so they actually connect to your tank sort of like a filter do they :?: :roll:

Leanne

chrissyoscar
Fri May 06, 2005, 02:37 PM
Hi Leanne

They are called Reef filters, trickle filters or sump filters.
Basically water flows from your main tank through an over flow and piping into the sump filter which is placed under your tank. From there the water goes through the bio balls etc and pumped back into the tank using a pump.
They make excellent filters as the bio balls have lots of bacteria. Most sumps also have filter wool in them and some people even place heaters in them so your tank is less cluttered. The down side is they are noisy. I have one myself. It's not running as it's my grow out tank and at the momment I have nothing to grow :cry:
If the price doesn't move I might even bid on it myself and have it as a spare. You never know if I get lucky I might need another tank. The bio ball them self are worth more than $30.

Oscar

leanne31
Sat May 07, 2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks for that Oscar they sound very interesting but no good for me if they are noisey I like everything to be nice and quiet. :lol:

Leanne