PDA

View Full Version : SLS EOI: Heckel discus juveniles, Anyone?

kevkoi
Fri May 06, 2005, 02:41 AM
Any interest in these little gems? Rio Inca.

Will come in at about 2.5"+. Confirmed pre-orders will receive a substantial discount. :wink: Limited numbers only.

Mattzilla
Fri May 06, 2005, 02:48 AM
what $$$ are we looking at mate????

dreamer
Fri May 06, 2005, 02:50 AM
what sort of $$ ??
are they wild caught or pure tankbred? they dont seem like many heckel pics i've seen on the net.

kevkoi
Fri May 06, 2005, 03:03 AM
Types of heckels
http://www.optimaquarium.com/Mainframe/discus/Galerie_Discus/Galerie_heckel.htm

Adult fish pic below.

Pre-ordered fish at $170ea or 2 for $300

dreamer
Fri May 06, 2005, 03:24 AM
looks like rio madeira x heckel ??

can you find common heckel or blue face?

kevkoi
Fri May 06, 2005, 03:31 AM
yes, but pricey. Pictures in the next few days.

update: 2.5" heckel (not the brown Inca heckel pictured above), $120

africandiscus
Fri May 06, 2005, 04:04 AM
How old are they?

dreamer
Fri May 06, 2005, 04:17 AM
how pricey? common or blue face? as this is not cheap either ..considering they look more like heckel cross.

that $120 for ??

kevkoi
Fri May 06, 2005, 04:49 AM
shall wait on pictures of thease heckels.

Fish are 2.5"+, and u can simply look by the eye that they are young and not stunted fish. Good shape.

These are about as cheap as "heckel" type fish of this quality I can get. Out of Germany they would be costing a lot more and in a lot worst shape (skinny, kinked fins, long fish, ragged fins).

Looking thru an importers place in Singapore, it is plainly evident that the Rio-Madeira fish invoiced are widely variable. There are some with very prominent heckel bar, and some with none at all. There are some that are fully striated and some which look like browns with a more yellowish hue, yet they are ALL invoiced and shipped out of South America as "Rio Madeira".

Heckels are also shipped out largely as "Heckels". Blue face or not is up to the importer to sort out, at least at this importers facility. Again, the heckels come in a wide variety of variations. Some looking like brown discus with a black bar, some looking like red turqs with a black bar, some looking very blue with black bar.... all in one consignment of "heckel" discus.

My question is..... What's in a name then? If we go by one or 2 supposedly "representative pictures" on the net, then trust me, ALL the fish coming in from South America as "Wilds", look like hybrids to me. Or maybe one looks more "blueish with prominent stress bars"... maybe I'll call that one "Nhamunda" 'cos it looks somewhat like the picture. :lol:

Ben
Fri May 06, 2005, 04:55 AM
Geez, stunning!
I off to get my credit card limit raised!

Ben

dreamer
Fri May 06, 2005, 05:07 AM
not represent ...maybe resemble?? but the adult version ..imo is one the ugliest heckel pic i have seen on the net :P where is the 1st bar anyway :wink:

Ben
Fri May 06, 2005, 05:26 AM
oh, Kev just a quick question, Are these heckels F1,
(young from both wild caught parents?)

Cheers Kev!

Ben

Ps Love your work!

goldenpigeon
Fri May 06, 2005, 06:19 AM
ill ask my mum if she wants to get me an early b'day present 4 nxt year! :D

Ben
Sat May 14, 2005, 01:30 PM
Amazing what can be found on ebay..............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66795&item=4381521941&rd=1

goldenpigeon
Sat May 14, 2005, 10:58 PM
wow. thats a nice heckel! i quess ebay has everything! :D

hey kev if u ever wanted to drop the price to $20 ea ill buy 10 off u :D

like thats ever gonna happen..........