PDA

View Full Version : Before i buy

Stuquarium
Wed May 04, 2005, 07:43 AM
as most of you are aware i'll be getting my 1st discus pair soon.
but before i buy i wanna make sure the water quality is right before adding the fish.

so before i buy (friday) i wanna check with you guys if it's safe to add the fish.

Nitrite nil
Nitrate 12.5
ph 6.2 (tap ph 7)
ammonia 2.0 (tested this afternoon)

the ammonia stat is worring.. the tanks about to end its 1st cycle. should it be safe for the discus? pr should i wait until it's cycled?

thanks again guys

goldenpigeon
Wed May 04, 2005, 07:59 AM
just wait untill it is cycled. are in a big rush to get these fish? (near the end of holding period?)

Bronx19
Wed May 04, 2005, 08:01 AM
Ammonia needs to be zero.

Stuquarium
Wed May 04, 2005, 08:41 AM
holding period?

the only chance i'll have to get some is friday, and its in oakley in melbourne, which is an over an hour away.

i have a 35g tank thats cycled, and ammonia is 0-.25. would it be wise to put them in there until the tanks cycled? ot should i just wait until the next time i have the money and chance to get some....

flukes
Wed May 04, 2005, 09:19 AM
Wait till its finsihed..

Dont risk it.

Stuquarium
Wed May 04, 2005, 09:31 AM
no way of speeding upi the cycle for it to finsih in time?

Merrilyn
Wed May 04, 2005, 01:07 PM
Stu I'm worried that you don't have a nitrIte reading. With your ammonia at 2.0 and you nitrate at 12 you should be showing a nitrite reading of some kind.

The tank is definately not cycled if that is the case.
How long have you had the tank cycling for? Have you been using the silver dollars to cycle the tank.

Transfer some of the used filter media out of your cycled tank into the new tank, to increase the bacteria colony. That will help to speed up the cycle, but don't be tempted to add your discus till you have a zero ammonia reading.

Your small discus will be fine in the 3 foot tank for the time being, until their tank is cycled.

ctvu
Wed May 04, 2005, 01:21 PM
Hi

I would rather wait for a bit longer than sorry. I know how much you want the first fish. The place you are going to buy always has good stock all the time, Mac - the owner - gets the fish every 2-3 weeks, or how about our sponsors Kev, Rod here so please don't rush, you would be sorry later.
HTH

ctvu

Stuquarium
Thu May 05, 2005, 01:40 AM
thanks guys..

FYI i tested that tank this morning... at least 12 hours after i posted this and heres the new stats oh and th tank has been running about 3 weeks or so now.

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 12.5
Ammonia 1.0
PH 6.2
so still no change...

why are you worried about 0 nitrate?

chrissyoscar
Thu May 05, 2005, 02:51 AM
I'll have a shot at this.
There's a reason they're concerned about you having a 0 reading of nitrites.
When you start a cycle you have ammonia in your tank which is produced from waste. Over a period of weeks you'll start to get bacteria growth that eats and breaks down the ammonia into nitrites. That's stage one of the cycle. Now comes stage 2, you'll start to have a different kind of bacteria forming in your filter this bacteria breaks down Nitrites and converts them to Nitrates. Your cycle is finished when you have readings of
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5-10+

If you still have ammonia reading but no nitrites reading then something isn't adding up. You seem to have enough bacteria there to break down the Nitrites but not enough to break down your ammonia.
You might have a faulty nitrites kit.
Take a water sample to your local aqurium and get them to test it for you. Most aquariums do it and wont charge much, only a few $.

Oscar

ctvu
Thu May 05, 2005, 02:58 AM
What she meant was that you should have some reading for Nitrite not Nitrate. The Cycle should be Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate. And Ideally they should not be present in your tank.
Why? they can kill your fish.

HTH

ctvu
Thu May 05, 2005, 03:02 AM
you beat me Oscar :) I did not know you posted before me

Stuquarium
Thu May 05, 2005, 03:57 AM
that is odd,

come to think of it. everytime i have tested nitrites its always been zero..

after i add the drops it telles me to invert the vial twice. whats that mean?

i'll test it again in a few and let you know

jim
Thu May 05, 2005, 05:03 AM
why don't you try this product called cycle.

Product discription from http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category36_1.htm

- Contains beneficial bacteria; nitrosomonas and nitrobacter
- Works together with other beneficial strains to eliminate harmful toxins
- Super concentrated
- The ideal mix of beneficial bacteria to make the aquarium water pure and the environment healthy
- For fresh and saltwater aquariums

I used this product for my new tanks...and also use it after I done medication. Hope it can help u cycle your tank much faster

Del
Thu May 05, 2005, 05:12 AM
Also it takes 5 minutes before you get a reading - I know now because I forgot to read the instructions to the end!

Stuquarium
Thu May 05, 2005, 05:32 AM
thanks guys i'll see if i can pick that stuff up.

and i'll retest the nitrite in a few minutes

Ben
Thu May 05, 2005, 05:39 AM
I Know this will be a bit off the topic, but just a wild guess are you a muscian stu?

Going back to discus, water changes are a must!
Try and do them at least every 48 hours!

Cheers,
Ben

Stuquarium
Thu May 05, 2005, 06:00 AM
yeah mate i am.. just released a CD too.. if you couldn;t tell

tested the nitrite again and it;s............... 0!!!!
lol