PDA

View Full Version : Dont use carbon in a Discus Tank True or False

axl
Wed May 04, 2005, 06:49 AM
Hi,
i have just read on the net that your not meant to use carbon in your filters with a discus tank is this true or false as im setting up a discus tank at the moment and have currently got carbon in my cannister should i take it out or leave it in
cheers axl

Mattzilla
Wed May 04, 2005, 07:29 AM
there is no reason why you can't use carbon in a discus tank.

i would not put it in a canister filter as carbon only works for a short period of time ( from days to weeks depending on who you talk to) and would be difficult to regularly change in a canister filter. if you must use it i would reccomend a hang on filter whcih you can place a bag of carbon in and change easily and regularly.

saying that, unless you have particularly bad water where you live i don't think it is neccessary to have carbon in your tank at all. with adequate filtration and regular w/c etc i don't feel there is a need to have carbon in your tank all the time. even if your water is poor quality i would say to have the carbon in your water aging barrel/bucket so that the water is treated prior to going into the tank.

i only use carbon in my tanks if i am removing medications or i feel my water quality is suffering due to poor/low maintenance on my behalf.

hth
matt

Trebs
Wed May 04, 2005, 08:34 AM
I prefer to have carbon 'on hand' and use it if I make a w/c and the fish react badly. I've had this happen once or twice and fresh carbon really helps. If you had carbon sitting in there all the time it's hard to say if it will be effective enough when you need it.

This is my general attitude to things like carbon, geo-liquid, ammo lock etc. I feel it's better to test and understand your water better so you know what is going on then only use an additive when there is a clear need.

Merrilyn
Wed May 04, 2005, 01:28 PM
This is a discussion that has been going on for a very long time. Jack Wattley believes that carbon removes too many of the essential minerals from the water, and contributes to ill health in discus.

Others disagree, saying that carbon simply polishes the water and removes fish urine and pollutants.

Personally, I don't use carbon in any of my tanks, but I do have it on hand to remove medications after treating the fish.

Dee
Wed May 04, 2005, 02:09 PM
Hi all,

What are the opinions on using carbon in your water storage tank with a small power filter? As oposed to using carbon in the main tank. So in theory the water is only carbon filtered for around 24 hours prior to adding to the tank.

Cheers,

Dee

:)

sunshinediscus
Wed May 04, 2005, 09:42 PM
Carbon is suspected of causing a form of lateral line erosion in discus when used on a constant basis. There may be variables involved in this and only be part of the equation is likely known but one thing for sure it is a definate contributor to this problem. There has been too many cases reported over the internet and some books for there not to be some truth in the matter. My personal experience carbon is fine to use as a water treatment method in the pre treatment tank to remove chemicals, metals and other undesireable elements in the water. Contrary to what Trebs said carbon is not a product you add to the water, it is a product that removes stuff from the water thus improving its qualities in many ways. In the cases where problems have been reported and in my own case many years ago it is only a problem when it is used constantly in the tank. The jury is still out on this subject and until the predisposing facts are known for this lateral line disintergration i would recommend you do not use carbon other than for water treatment in the holding atnk and for the short term use as an absorbant for medications after treatment.

Rod

axl
Thu May 05, 2005, 07:10 AM
Hi,
what do i put in its place if i dont use carbon, currently i have filter wool on the bottom then carbon, then cermaic balls, then wool filter, how do people have there cannister filters set up
cheers axl

jim
Thu May 05, 2005, 07:32 AM
Carbon is good...but it absorb all trace elements for plants too like iron.etc...
Normally people won't suggest to use Carbon in planted tank...BB tank should be ok

Del
Thu May 05, 2005, 07:35 AM
I have an Eheim 2213 cannister filter and my LFS told me to set up mine in this order - starting from the top: blue sponge, filter media (in a stocking), noodles. I have high nitrate readings and to help clear this they gave me a product called "CLEARWATER" which goes between the media and the sponge - working well so far. (also doing 30% WC every 2nd day).

Dee
Fri May 06, 2005, 08:27 AM
Hi Rod,

Thank you for the info and your thoughts on the use of carbon in the main tank. Would you say it's a case of the carbon absorbing too many elements from the water if used for a long time in the main tank ?

Cheers,

Dee :)

sunshinediscus
Fri May 06, 2005, 08:47 AM
Hi Dee,

yes thats exactly what i think is happening, 1 or more elements is gradually removed by absorbtion.

A conceivable explanation about why it doesn't occur in every case where people use carbon could be certain carbons may be more absorbent or could have a certain porosity specific for that element just like an ion exchange resin works.

This is all pure conjecture on my part but there is enough evidence out there that it happens for it to be ignored.

Rod

Dee
Fri May 06, 2005, 09:05 AM
Hi Rod,

Intresting stuff ... that would also support Jack Wattley's opinion of carbon use in the main tank and it's effects on discus health, as posted by Merrilyn. Thanks for your thoughts on carbon :) As for absorbtion levels etc, would that explain the price difference between various brands of carbon? ... quality?

Stupid question here, but what is the difference between activated carbon and normal carbon ? :oops:

Cheers,

Dee :)

Littlefish
Fri May 06, 2005, 09:40 AM
Activated carbon is carbon (charcoal) which has been treated with oxygen to increase its porosity, thus increasing the surface area for chemical absorption.

Fred :)