PDA

View Full Version : OAFI said.....

Bill T.
Sun May 01, 2005, 11:26 PM
I went to OAFI on the weekend. Now I will have to convert my whole lounge room into aquarium space & spend thousands of dollars.....

The guy at OAFI said to allow pH to drift down (as low as 6 is apparently not problematic) and keep temp at 30 C. He reckons this will help clear mucus (and flukes) from their gills & keep 'em healthy. He has some pH buffer that stops at 7.0 if pH is a problem (forgot to ask him what it was, but I will be back!!!!!).

He uses plain tap water (I assume after dechlorination).

lesley
Mon May 02, 2005, 08:38 AM
rest assured he will have something to sell you!!!! You might want to post and discuss to find out whether or not you think this will be advantageous.

They surely can live in 6, however what you need to establish is why your water is drifting to 6, and the time it takes, etc. Make sure that you understand your water and don't just add magic bullets without knowing what you are changing.

Merrilyn
Mon May 02, 2005, 09:07 AM
Not many people know, but Mac at OAFI holds a degree in Aquaculture, so he really does know his stuff. But he is a retailer, and will always find something to sell you.

flukes
Mon May 02, 2005, 09:12 AM
Well he tanks are always sparkling, and all he uses is filter wool!

spencer
Mon May 02, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi all
I have checked with the abbreviations
What or who is OAFI

regards Max

ctvu
Mon May 02, 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Max

OAFI = Oakleigh Aquarium Fish Importer
www.oafi.cjb.net HTH

Bill

Did u go there Sunday afternoon around 3 pm with a girl?
Mac said to me his PH between 6-7
It is totally up to you. With the PH I never muck around with the buffer unless breeding, it seems to me the Melbourne water is quite steady, make sure you age the water before WC.

ctvu

Bill T.
Mon May 02, 2005, 12:47 PM
Sunday afternoon about 4:00 & that was a woman with me!

Very interesting trip - I'll be back!

spencer
Mon May 02, 2005, 01:14 PM
Hi ctvu,
Thanks for that, bought a filter from him, he's
just down the road
Cheers Max

ctvu
Tue May 03, 2005, 02:35 AM
So that was it. I was there too to take the pair and I was about to leave for home I saw a couple going in there. Did you get any thing from him?

ctvu

Bill T.
Tue May 03, 2005, 02:57 AM
Didn't get anything this time apart from information, but I'll be back! Maybe one of those pidgeon bloods and a couple of brilliant blues?