PDA

View Full Version : nitrate rise when I do water changes ????

pitchblack
Sun May 01, 2005, 08:29 AM
hey all ive had a slight problem with my nitrate over the past two weeks.
Every time I do a water change the tank goes cloudy and starts to rise in nitrate???? I only add liquid fertilizer, water conditioner and trace elements. Does anyone know what might be the problem or have encountered this before...

My tanks is 4x2x1.5

ph 6.7
gh 20ppm
kh 100ppm
temp 30 deg

duck
Sun May 01, 2005, 09:23 AM
The same happens to me after WC it get's cloudy,After a couple of hours or so it goe's,It's happened to me for a long time the discus seem ok.
Never tested straight after WC for nitrates.

pitchblack
Sun May 01, 2005, 11:45 AM
no for me it keeps getting cloudier. and the nitrate starts to rise????
Dont know why???

Merrilyn
Sun May 01, 2005, 01:44 PM
Try doing a waterchange without adding the ferts and trace elements. Just use dechlorinated water, and see if it makes a difference.

Fishpimpin73
Sun May 01, 2005, 03:45 PM
How old is the tank?

Sounds like a mini cycle.

Are you shutting off the filters when you change your water?

pitchblack
Mon May 02, 2005, 08:06 AM
Im not shutting off the filters when I do a water change. Will try what LR said. I thought its a factor with the fertilizer. But you never know. The tank is heavily planted now im worried if I dont fertilize then the iron levels will drop and the leaves will start to turn yellow????

Merrilyn
Mon May 02, 2005, 09:14 AM
Not sure mate. Ryan is our resident expert on plants. Maybe try a different type of fert if you find the liquid one is affecting your nitrates.

pitchblack
Thu May 05, 2005, 06:15 AM
just did a water change and only added dechloronater and fertilizer and no nitrate rise... all is good

Dave76
Thu May 05, 2005, 07:03 AM
Check the ingredients on your ferts - a lot have nitrate in them for the plants to use

Dave